Quick question for you: when you’re thinking about breakfast, are you thinking about a sweet breakfast (Danish pastry or berry muffin) or a salty/savory breakfast (scrambled eggs and toast or sausage and salsa frittata)? My answer 9 times out of 10: savory. I want something salty and savory, and this 5 ingredient breakfast tacos recipe fits the bill perfectly. This is a quick breakfast which is surprisingly simple to make (the tacos, fillings, assembly and all takes no more than 15 minutes!)
I was flipping through my 5 ingredient cookbook and came across the chorizo breakfast hash recipe that’s in there and it got me thinking about breakfast and chorizo. It’s such a good breakfast dish. So, I added chorizo to my grocery list.
I saw the chorizo sitting in my fridge and realized I’d forgotten the other ingredients. Oops! Then, I saw some leftover tortillas hanging out (you know, the one or two lone stragglers leftover from taco Tuesday) and viola, this recipe was born!
What ingredients do you need to make these breakfast tacos?
- Chorizo – I personally believe chorizo is super under-rated. I always forget just how much I love it. I have a 5 ingredient pasta dish with chorizo that is so tasty!
- Eggs – plan to use as many eggs as you want tacos. This recipe uses four; 1 egg per tortilla.
- Tortillas – I love to toast my tortillas a bit before assembling the tacos. Adds an extra touch of texture. Just warm them in the pan before cooking your eggs. 30 seconds each side does the trick.
- Cheese – you can really use any cheese you’d like! I used sharp cheddar, but pepper jack would also be great for a little extra kick.
- Salsa – pick your heat level! I love a medium chunky salsa for these tacos.
- Toppings (optional) – get creative here! You can add on avocado, sour cream, cilantro, tomatoes and anything else you can think of.
As you can see from the ingredients list, this is nothing too specific! And you can get creative with your cheese of choice, toppings and which meat you use. I love a good adaptable recipe!
The recipe is very customizable. It’s one of those fun ‘use what you have in your fridge’ type of recipes.
- Don’t have cheddar? Not a problem, use pepper jack or literally any other cheese you have.
- Don’t have flour tortillas? That’s ok, use corn tortillas or even a piece or toast (or chips!!)
- Don’t have chorizo? You could use any other meat – breakfast sausage or bacon or a meat-alternative like plant based chorizo (I’ve had it, and it’s actually super flavorful!)
- No salsa? A-ok, use some chopped tomatoes or other veggies.
I mentioned above how surprisingly easy these tacos were to make. See for yourself.
How do you make these 5 ingredient breakfast tacos?
- First. Cook chorizo for 4 minutes. Once cooked, drain grease on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Lightly wipe down pan and crack eggs directly into the pan. Scramble while in pan and cook until done.
- Heat tortillas in skillet.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!
Even on the busiest of mornings, I think we can all agree to follow those four simple steps to start your day with a tasty taco.
Next time you’re opening your fridge, looking at the random contents you have (like those last 2 taco shells, I’m looking at you) and thinking about what to make for breakfast, I’d highly recommend this 5 ingredient breakfast tacos recipe!! Leave a comment below let me know how you’d make these easy breakfast tacos with what you have on hand!
5 Ingredient Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- 4 oz. Chorizo casings removed
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Tortillas
- 1/2 cup cheese I used sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 tbs Salsa
Other topping options
- avocado, tomatoes, sour cream, cilantro
- Cook chorizo on high for 4 minutes in a non-stick skillet, breaking sausage up as it cooks. Put onto a plate lined with paper towel to line grease.
- Lightly wipe the pan, but you don’t need to clean fully. You can use a little bit of the chorizo grease in the pan to cook the eggs. Crack eggs directly into pan and scramble in the pan.
- Heat tortillas in skillet - 30 seconds each side until you start seeing bubbles.
- Place eggs in tortilla. Add chorizo, cheese and salsa. Enjoy!
- I used a mild chorizo (no picante) and a sharp cheddar for this recipe, but you could choose a pepper jack cheese or spicer chorizo if you want more kick to the recipe.
- You can also use any kind of breakfast sausage you would like. Bacon would be great! Or even a plant based sausage.