Happy Five Ingredient Friday! For this week’s addition, I’m continuing on with the Thanksgiving theme I seem to have set. Last Friday I posted a 5 ingredient turkey (we’re STILL enjoying eating the delicious garlicy turkey for dinner) and then I shared how to make mushroom gravy, then loaded mashed potatoes, so now we need a vegetable to go with the meal.
That’s where these 5 Ingredient Cinnamon Spice Roasted Carrots come in. They’re roasted to perfection and coated with hints of cinnamon and spice.
It’s not an ‘omg spicy’ kick, but there’s a little spicy finish to the carrots that goes great with the cinnamon.
The cinnamon and cayenne bring out the natural sweetness of the carrots without making them overly sweet.
I don’t know about you, but there always seemed to be someone who would make overly sweet baby carrots for Thanksgiving. The dish would be boiled carrots with some kind of a sweet sauce (marmalade and sugar maybe?) I just remember totally hating it as a child. They would be forced on my plate, and I’d just sit there and push the mushy carrots around.
These carrots are a far cry from those. These carrots? Well, the second they came out of the oven I was snacking on them. One for the plate…one for me…one for the plate, oops, another one for me! Needless to say, these would make the perfect vegetable side dish for your Thanksgiving feast!
- 1 Lb Carrots ends cuts off and carrots cut into matchsticks
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl place carrots and onions, pour olive oil and toss with a spoon. Then sprinkle cinnamon, cayenne and salt over the carrots and onions and stir together so that all the carrots and onions are covered with cinnamon and spice. Place the carrots and onions on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, then flip, and cook for another 10 minutes or until the carrot ends are brown.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a serving plate and enjoy!