This delicious 5 ingredient overnight vanilla oats recipe is the perfect healthy breakfast – made with only 5 simple ingredients and no cooking required.
To make the overnight oats, all you do is put rolled oats, flax, and yogurt in a mason jar or container and refrigerate it overnight, then the next morning add a tablespoon of brown sugar and walnuts to give it some crunch, mix, and enjoy!
What are overnight oats?
- Overnight oats are a way to make/prepare rolled oats. You simple combine oats in liquid, let them sit overnight, hence the name overnight oats.
- Because the oats absorb the liquid, there’s no cooking involved – yay for no cook breakfasts!
How to make healthy overnight oats & substitutions
- At the bottom of a jar or Tupperware container (or even in a big coffee mug) add rolled oats and flaxseed meal.
- Add in water and yogurt (I like to use vanilla yogurt, but you could use plain yogurt and add in a dash of vanilla extract).
- Leave covered, in the fridge overnight (8-12 hours)
- Next morning top with brown sugar and walnuts (you could maple syrup instead of brown sugar as a sweetener and pecans or almonds instead of walnuts)
These are a great grab-and-go breakfast. I’ve been known to take a container of these on my way out the door in the morning and then am that girl that has an empty mason jar with spoon clanking around.
Also, these 5 ingredient overnight vanilla oats are such a great healthy breakfast for kids. When they wake up in the morning wanting breakfast 5 minutes ago, these are perfect to grab out of the fridge. You can also customize them depending on what each kid likes.
Next time you’re looking for a quick breakfast, make these super easy 5 ingredient overnight vanilla oats!
5 Ingredient Overnight Vanilla Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbs flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt or plain yogurt with a dash of vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs walnut pieces
- In the bottom of a mason jar or a container add oats and flax, then pour water over the oats, and cover with vanilla yogurt. No need to stir. Refrigerate overnight (8-12 hours).
- In the morning top with brown sugar and walnut pieces and enjoy!
This recipe was originally posted in 2014 and updated in 2020