We have to admit, we lied! This recipe isn’t exactly 5 ingredients, it’s actually less! Well, let us explain – typically ingredients like salt, pepper and oil doing count against our five ingredients list. So check out what you need for this reverse seared steak below.
What ingredients do you need to make a reverse seared steak?
- Steak of your choice, I like to use a New York strip
- Neutral oil
The first thing you need to do is liberally salt and pepper your steak. This should be done at least one hour before cooking, but you could do it as early as 3 days prior.
You want to be sure to never bring your steak to room temperature, so after you have added salt and pepper to the steaks, place them in the refrigerator overnight and wrap loosely with plastic. I do this on a foil lined baking sheet with cooling rack on top. The key is to be sure you have air circulating all around the steaks.
Once you start the baking process, you want to be sure to stop baking the steak about 20 degrees before your desired temperature. At that point, it’s time to sear the steaks to get that amazing crust.
You’ll want to be sure to use a meat thermometer like this one.
What is the reverse sear cooking method?
- The reverse sear cooking method is simply a way of making a steak that requires you to bake the steak in an oven first and then sear it on a pan.
Have you tried to make a reverse seared steak before? What do you think?! We’d love to know so leave a comment below and let us know.
- Steak of your choice a thick steak works best with this method
- neutral oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- At least one hour prior to cooking, liberally season steaks with salt and pepper. Let sit for one hour or up to three days. Keep steaks in refrigerator and do not let them reach room temperature.
- Cook steak in oven until 20 degrees before desired temperature. I like mine 140-145, so we stopped at 120 degrees.
- Right before removing steak from the oven, heat any neutral oil in skillet.
- Take steaks out of the oven and transfer directly to the skillet. Add 2 Tablespoons butter. Sear the steak and butter in pan at the same time.
- Turn steaks and baste with spoon constantly until crust/sear forms and final temperature is reached.
- Rest steaks and tent with foil until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply