These 5 ingredient shrimp and black bean enchiladas are such an easy and delicious dinner to make…there’s only 5 ingredients in these bad boys and you’re going to want to make them over and over again (and they’re done in less than 30 minutes!!)
My husband and I were on a date night at a Mexican restaurant. I was staring at the menu and my mind was just blank, I could not make a decision, everything sounded good, but nothing was really jumping out at me…does that ever happen to you? So I asked my husband what he thought I should get. He said “what about these shrimp and back bean enchiladas? I’d never really heard of shrimp in enchiladas so I thought I’d give them a try, and boy am I glad I did.
I got them, and wowza they were good. They were so good in fact, that I could not stop thinking about them.
With all the tomatoes and jalapenos growing in my garden, I’ve made a bunch of batches of homemade enchilada sauce (like I did when I made this cheesy chicken and rice enchilada casserole) and then I made Korean BBQ tacos and had some leftover tortillas, and in my freezer I had a bag of frozen shrimp and then I noticed a can of black beans in my pantry…its like it was just meant to be.
What I love about this these shrimp and black bean enchiladas is that there’s only five ingredients in them – shrimp, black beans, cheese, tortillas, and enchilada sauce (I usually use store bought enchilada sauce – you could use red or green enchilada sauce or if you have extra time you could always make homemade enchilada sauce). 5 ingredients means these enchiladas are perfect for this weeks’ Five Ingredient Friday!
I will definitely be making these shrimp and black bean enchiladas over and over again because they’re just so easy to put together: all you do is cook the shrimp in a little of the enchilada sauce and then fill tortillas with some shrimp and black beans, put them in a baking dish and cover with sauce and cheese and bake, a short 15 minutes later you’ll have a super flavorful and amazing dinner ready to be enjoyed. If you want to be extra fancy, you could top these enchiladas with some cilantro and sour cream, but it’s really not necessary, they are delicious all by themselves!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Vegetarian Freezer Burritos
- Enchiladas with Cheese Sauce
- 5 Ingredient Jalapeno Enchilada Pizza
5 Ingredient Shrimp and Black Bean Enchiladas
- 2 cans 10 oz each enchilada sauce (red or green, and spice level of your choice)
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 cans 15 oz each black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese or any other cheese you like
- 12-13 small flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook 1/4 cup enchilada sauce and shrimp over high heat until the shrimp is cooked (about 5 minutes or until shrimp is no longer translucent). Remove from heat.
- Rinse and drain the black beans and put in a bowl.
- Pour cheese in a bowl.
- Set out a 9 x 13 baking dish. Next assemble the enchiladas and put them into the baking dish. To assemble the enchiladas place two-three spoonfuls of black beans, three-four shrimp, and a pinch of cheese into the center or a tortilla, fold the edges around the filling and place, seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until all the filling has been used and the enchiladas are all in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the assembled enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is all melted. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes, then serve.