My older sister was having her birthday and since we are both getting married this year, we didn’t want to spend money on presents, so I decided to make her her favorite desert I make: Apple Pie! Since we were going to be going to celebrate, I didn’t want her to have to dig into the pie, so I made some little Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake with Apple Mini Pies for snacking on, they turned out absolutely delicious, I will definitely add this to my Thanksgiving cooking list.
For the crust, I used Martha Stewarts Recipe for Pate Brisee, it has worked every time! I made one and half of this recipe because I didn’t know how much I would need for the mini pies.
- 1.5 recipe of Pate Brisee:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks 1.5 cups unsalted butter, cold, cut into small
- 1/2 cup ice water plus more if needed
- Apple Pie Filling:
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 lbs apples 9 medium apples
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs butter
- Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake filling:
- 1/2 of 1 lemon zest
- 1/2 package cream cheese
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 1/4 container Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425
- For the apple pie: Fill the bottom of one pie pan with half of the pie crust.
- Peel, core, clean and slice the apples into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Next add all the other ingredients for the apple pie filling except the butter and stir. Fill the pie pan with crust in it with 3/4 of the apple mixture (reserve the remaining 1/4 of apples for the mini pies, or if just making an apple pie you can use all of it). Cut the butter and place pieces evenly around the pie.
- Roll out the other 1/2 of the crust and place on top of apples and pinch crusts together and cut 4 small vents on the top/center of the pie.
- Bake on 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce to 375 for 30-40 minutes (I put the pie and the mini apple pies on a baking sheet in the oven together).
- For the mini pies: Beat the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, heavy cream and sugar together with a mixer, next add the lemon zest, corn starch vanilla and egg and beat for a minute.
- Roll out the remaining pie crust (I ended up only needing half of it) and take a glass and trace 12 circles/cut these circles out. spray a 12 muffin pan with cooking spray, and then press one circle in each of the muffin spaces. Next fill each mini pie with about 2-3 tbs of the lemon ricotta mixture, and then use the apples reserved from making the pie and place 2-3 apple slices on top. Bake on 425 for 15 minutes, then turn down the oven to 375 and cook for another 30-40 minutes.
- I found that the pie and the muffins both fit on one cookie sheet and cooked for the same amount of time.
- When done, take both items out of the oven and let cool before serving. I took the muffins out of their pan and placed them on a cookie sheet by running a knife around the edges and popping them out.
Find out what I did with the remaining 1/2 of a pie crust tomorrow!