Have a super delicious dinner on the table in 15 minutes with this Asian ground turkey and rice bowls recipe!
In this recipe, ground turkey is cooked with Asian ingredients (like soy sauce, ginger, and rice wine vinegar) and then instant white rice is used (the 5 minute kind), and everything is cooked and ready to go in 15 minutes!
These days, especially with the kids, I’m all about quick and easy dinner recipes that I can get on the table, fast!
The story behind how this recipe came to be goes something like this: I had had a long day and so had my husband Nick. We were both exhausted and the last thing on our minds was dinner. I got a power hour of work in while he watched the kids, and then when I looked up with a grumbling tummy (of course having lost track of time), I knew I need to make something for dinner that was quick.
We were thinking of maybe getting delivery, but I really didn’t want to wait that long, so I opened the fridge and saw I had some quick pickled Asian vegetables and some ground turkey (as I said when I shared these turkey burgers, I rarely buy ground beef, but instead I love ground turkey!) and thought about how fast ground turkey cooks, so I married the flavors together by cooking the turkey with Asian ingredients that I love having in the house: like rice wine vinegar and gochujang (these items can be found in the Asian or international foods aisle at most grocery stores, or ordered on Amazon.)
What ingredients do you need to make these Asian turkey and rice bowls?
- Sesame oil
- Garlic cloves
- Ground turkey
- Fresh ginger
- Brown sugar
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
- Chili pasta
- White rice
- Asian pickled vegetables
If you want to add a great sauce (optional):
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Chili paste
I whipped up this incredible Asian ground turkey and rice bowls recipe, and start to finish, they took only 15 minutes!!!
I had the quick Asian pickled vegetables in the fridge. You could use un-pickled, regular raw vegetables, or you could whip up a batch of quick Asian pickled vegetables to have on hand. The longer the vegetables marinate, the more heat they develop. I had ones that I had in the fridge for 2 weeks, and they had this great heat to them!
These Asian ground turkey and rice bowls are so flavorful, and make the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! I’d love to know -what is your favorite meal or dish to make when you’re short on time?
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Sheet Pan Meal Ground Turkey Balsamic Meatloaf
- The Best Ground Turkey Tacos
- Sweet and Spicy Turkey Sloppy Joes
Asian Ground Turkey and Rice Bowls Recipe
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar dark or light ok
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or Tamari if gluten free
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (gochujang)
- 2 cups cooked white rice (I use 5 minute instant white rice)
- Asian pickled vegetables or you could use finely chopped, raw vegetables: carrots, cucumbers, jalapenos)
- Cilantro about a handful, chopped for topping
Optional: sauce to serve over the finished dish:
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce or Tamari if gluten free
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili paste
- In a large nonstick pan over high heat cook sesame oil and garlic cloves for 30 seconds, then add in the ground turkey and sprinkle with salt. Break up the turkey as it cooks for 5 minutes, then when there's only a little bit of pink showing still, add in the fresh ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili paste and continue cooking, stirring and breaking up the turkey as it cooks, for another 4-5 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- Chop cilantro and get your vegetables ready (drain the liquid from the pickled vegetables or chop the raw vegetables.)
- If making the sauce to go over the finished dish, stir the ingredients together and set aside.
- To assemble: divide rice between 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 of the turkey, add pickled veggies and top with a pinch of cilantro and enjoy