This is one of my all-time favorite easy recipes: baked chicken potatoes carrots and herbs from the farmers market. It’s a dish I make all year round, and makes for a really great ‘make ahead’ dinner that can be made on a Sunday and then served for lunches/dinners throughout the weekend (yay for healthy meal prep recipes!)
This recipe for baked chicken, potatoes, carrots and herbs also happens to be one of the most popular recipes on my website. Since making it, and posting it way back in 2013 (wow, how time flies) I’ve made this dish countless times, and have gotten so many amazing emails from readers who’ve made this, it was high time for a few newer pictures.
What ingredients do I need to make baked chicken with carrots, potatoes and herbs?
- Yellow onion
- Chicken breasts
- Fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, parsley)
- Garlic salt
- Onion salt
In the summertime months, there are so many great Farmer’s Market where we live in Milwaukee. So what I love to do is pack up the family and take a trip every week to our local Farmer’s Market.
With all the fresh vegetables I get, I love to just roast them in the oven for dinner, I have made this over and over and over because it is so simple and full of flavor (the carrots I get are both yellow and orange!)
What are some other great chicken dinners with vegetables?
- Roasted vegetables with chicken sausage
- Roasted whole chicken and carrots with lemon and thyme<–a huge favorite dish of mine, and
- Roasted potato and kohlrabi salad<–makes a great side dish as part of this farm to table dinner with rotisserie chicken and ginger glazed carrots!
I use a Pyrex baking dish like this because after I’m done baking it and want to store leftovers in the fridge, I just put the lid on it. These baking dishes with lids are truly my favorite ones and I use them ALL the time.
This baked chicken, potatoes, carrots and fresh herb recipe is totally customizable to what you have on hand. Instead of fresh herbs you could use Italian seasoning (I would use 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons instead of 2 tablespoons fresh herbs).
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Freezer to Slow Cooker Honey Mustard Chicken
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Freezer Meal
- Hot Honey Baked Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Baked Chicken, Potatoes, Carrots and Herbs from the Farmers Market
- 2 lbs potatoes I use Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters, about 5 potatoes
- 2 lbs large carrots peeled and cut into chunks, about 6 large carrots
- 1 yellow onion medium-large, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 lbs chicken breasts 4 large breasts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, parsley and rosemary- herbs should be destemmed and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and onion salt/granules or powder
- pepper freshly cracked, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel and cut the vegetables and herbs. In a large baking dish scatter the onions, potatoes and carrots, sprinkle with half the salt, pepper and half of the fresh herbs and half the olive oil.
- Next add the chicken breast on top of the vegetables and slightly nestle them in to the vegetables. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the chicken, then sprinkle remaining fresh herbs and salt/pepper and garlic and onion salt.
- Bake for 55 minutes then check for doneness, the potatoes should be soft when poked with a fork, remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
If you make this recipe and love it as much as my family does, I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments section!