A recipe born from having no eggs in the house but a craving for waffles has become a staple recipe that I have made dozens of times in the past few months. I present to you: the best eggless waffles recipe!
One evening we decided we were going to have brinner (breakfast for dinner) because pretty much the only thing I had in the fridge was bacon. I put the bacon in the oven to cook and as I went back to the fridge to get out the eggs (we were just going to have eggs/bacon/toast) I discovered we had no eggs. Ooops.
So I decided I’d just try my hand at creating some waffles to go with the bacon, because I’d made waffles from mixes that just require adding water plenty of times. I played around with the recipe and oh my goodness, I was so pleasantly surprised with the end result.
What can I use if I don’t have eggs for waffle mix?
- Lemon juice
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Lemon zest
Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and a hint of lemon. Perfection!
The eggless waffles were a winner. I made them several times and decided they HAD to go on the blog.
THIS is the waffle maker I use, it is by far one of my favorite items!!
Being a busy, full-time working Mom, I always try to make extra of recipes where I can. And it’s the best when they freeze well so I can use them down the road. These eggless waffles do just that – freeze perfectly!
This recipe makes four waffles. What I like to do is double the recipe and freeze a few, they freeze/reheat really well (I just pop the frozen waffle into a toaster).
Another bonus with this recipe, you can also use the batter for pancakes. And yes, they are just as delicious. Freeze the pancakes and when you’re ready to eat them, simply throw in the toaster to defrost. Add syrup and enjoy.
For even more flexibility with this recipe, you can make it vegan by simply making it without milk. You can substitute in water, oat milk, almond milk – or really, any non-dairy milk.
You know what I’m dreaming of, using this eggless waffle recipe to create a super fun waffle bar. This is perfect for a party because people can choose to top a waffle with anything they’d like! YUM!
If you’re looking for a waffle recipe with no eggs, this is the best eggless waffle recipe ever!!
The Best Eggless Waffles Recipe
- 1 cup milk or water, or non dairy milk of choice*
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice juice from 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil or other mild cooking oil like grapeseed, vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract optional
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons baking powder make sure your baking powder doesn't contain aluminum, see note
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a bowl combine milk and lemon juice and let sit for 5 minutes (this is essentially creating buttermilk, you could use buttermilk instead of this step). After 5 minutes add in canola oil, vanilla extract and almond extract (if using.)
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and lemon zest, stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes (let the baking powder do it's thing - the mixture thickens up a bit and bubbles a little.)
- Warm waffle iron according to manufacture directions. I have this waffle iron and love it so much!
- Spray heated waffle iron with cooking spray and spoon batter into waffle iron, cook until done (mine is about 5 minutes). Repeat until all waffles are made.
I used some of these items to make this post: