If there is just one thing that makes every day go a little more smoothly, it is having food prepared or prepped ahead of time. I’m always working on prepping and cooking ahead, even if it’s just cutting an onion before I need it or cutting carrots for snacks. It helps when you store have food storage containers to put the prepped/prepared food in. I’m sharing the best food storage containers, the ones that are tried and true and ones I use all the time!
- I think we can all agree on how amazing Pyrex is, overall. Their glass containers are great because you can use them as mixing bowls and food storage. Then, you can simply pop them into the microwave for a quickly re-heated meal. They come in all shapes and sizes and I can honestly think of hundreds of uses for each of them!
- How I use them: I especially love the round 7 cup ones for prepping things that go freezer to Instant Pot (like this chili con carne). Because of the round shape similar to an Instant Pot, it is super easy for freezer to cooker recipes! I also use them for storing cooked meals like risotto or for storing ingredient components, like grilled chicken.
- I used to mainly use Mason Jars for food storage, but then I discovered these amazing Weck jars. Both are great options, but what I love about the Weck jars is that there’s a 26 oz. size which is a little bigger and easier to clean I find.
- How I use them: I like to store soups in Weck jars in the freezer and absolutely love using them for anything I am quick pickling (like in veggies or eggs) and they’re great for making/storing dressings, sauces, and pantry items like granola. I also use Weck jars for my sourdough starter (to mix and stir). I also love them for making overnight oats (like these vanilla overnight oats).
- These glass containers are some of the most used dishes in my kitchen. They are perfect to portion out an entrée, vegetables and a starch.
- How I use them: I absolutely love using them for meal prep. Plus, you can portion out healthy snacks, pop on the lid and throw them in any bag on the go.
- I bought these last year and use them all the time…so much that I’ve purchased another set.
- How I use them: I love using them for dressings, spices, chopped up herbs and the list could go on. They are also great if you’re looking to control portion sizes or serve the kids a small treat (like the sundae pictured above). Or, if you make a jam/cranberry sauce, it’s nice to divide it up.
- These are the best if you’re packing a lunch and don’t want to carry dishes back and forth. Also great if you’re sending food home with a friend or family member because they are not expensive so you won’t worry about getting them back. They are a step up from Tupperware and are freezer and dishwasher safe.
- I know they’re supposed to be a good meal prep disposable option, but I kid you not, I’ve had the same set for 3 years now and have only had to throw out 1 or 2 lids in all that time.
- How I use them: I use them for meal prep/portioned out meals and also if I’m making cookies as a gift like State shaped cookies.
Honorable mention: These aren’t necessarily ‘containers’, but whenever I’m talking food storage, I just have to mention gallon size sealable freezer bags and aluminum pans. No, they’re not as eco friendly as glass options, but I use them for freezer meals ALL the time. I just add them to an Amazon order and have them ready to go. They take up less space and are truly convenient!
These are some of the best food storage containers that I use regularly in the kitchen. I’d love to know – what are some of your favorite ways to store your food?