Macaroni and cheese, Mac N Cheese, Mac and Cheese…whatever name you give it, it’s one of those things I just can’t get enough of! This is one of my favorite recipes – it’s for a super delicious Blue Cheese Bechamel Macaroni and Cheese.
Not everyone is a blue cheese lover-to be honest I don’t love blue cheese by itself-but in this bechamel mac and cheese it will convert the biggest non-blue-cheese lover! The bechamel sauce smooths out the blue cheese and coats the spirally pasta in a blanket of creaminess, the hints of blue cheese throughout add a delicious salty kick, and the crunchy bits of topping from baking finish off this Blue Cheese Bechamel Mac and Cheese dish making one want
need to dig in for bite after bite.
Here are some lovely pictures of me making the Blue Cheese Bechamel Mac and cheese from when I visited my super talented photographer friend Charlotte in North Carolina…wish she were around to take pictures at every meal-just look at the photos-so pretty (and trust me, this mac and cheese was as delicious as it looks!!)
Then of course there’s when the blue cheese bechamel mac and cheese is ready to eat…it’s equally as visually appealing! And I of course had to throw in a little picture I’m so glad my husband snapped of me holding the food and Charlotte with her camera, I just love it!
Ok…on to the recipe for the blue cheese mac and cheese:
- 1 lb Cavatappi pasta
- 1/2 lb 8oz Blue Cheese (I used a mild one called Black River Blue) , roughly chopped
- 4 oz Sharp White Cheddar shredded
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 1/2 Cups Whole Milk at room temperature
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tsp Dry mustard powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp pepper
- 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- Start by cooking pasta according to package directions but under cooking by 1 minute (because you will be baking it and you don't want the pasta to be a soggy mess, I usually cook my the pasta for 10 minutes in boiling water and then taste test, it should be al dente. Then I strain and set aside.)
- To make the bechamel sauce- in a heavy large saucepan that is big enough to hold the pasta-melt the butter over medium heat and as soon as it starts to melt add in the flour and whisk constantly until the paste starts to bubble a little -about 1 minute (you don't want to let it get brown).
- Next add the milk to the saucepan and whisking constantly allow the sauce to thicken - about 5 minutes of stirring. When sauce has thickened considerably (should coat the back of a spoon) turn the heat to low and stir in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dry mustard, stir a few times and then add in the shredded cheddar and about 1/2 of the blue cheese chunks. Stir until everything is ooey gooey and mixed (about 2 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Now add the pasta to the sauce and gently fold the sauce over the pasta to make sure all the pasta is covered with sauce. Stir in the remaining blue cheese chunks and then spoon into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the panko bread crumbs over the mac and cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and then allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving and then enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by a dish one of my favorite Milwaukee Wine Bars/Restaurants (Balzac Wine Bar) makes called ‘Famous Balzac Sac Mac.’
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
Oh, hey, my noodle-shape buddy! (I hope that makes sense ;)) The package I used had some made up German name on it so I’m happy to learn what they’re really called!
And this is some fancy mac & cheese! Looks awesome.
I totally know what you mean noodle-shape buddy 😉 I was so happy to see someone else use this amazing spiral shaped pasta-you should have seen me trying to find it in the grocery store, I definitely was staring all the boxes of pasta down until I found the right one! I find spiraly pasta lets the cheese sauce coat all the crevices. Thanks for the comment!
Nutmeg Nanny says
This mac and cheese looks so decadent! My husband would go crazy over this. Thank you so much for helping kick off Mac and Cheese Mania!
Thank you for the comment, and thank you for including me in this awesome event! I mean, Mac and Cheese Mania? Yes please! I loooove mac and cheese and have been loving seeing everyone’s recipes!
Cravings of a Lunatic says
This looks so good. Creamy and rich, perfect mac n cheese. Love the photo of you and your friend. Nice keepsake of a great day.
Awe, thank you for the comment! And I totally love the photo, it was such a special memory 🙂
Dinnersdishesdessert (@Dinnersdishes) says
My blue cheese loving husband would think this is incredible!
Why thank you for the lovely comment! My husband loved this recipe too 🙂
Blue cheese is my favorite cheese and I know I would love your Macaroni and cheese dish.
If Blue Cheese is one of your favorites, you will definitely love this Macaroni and Cheese dish! Thanks for your comment!
I absolutely love blue cheese … and cannot think of a better way to eat it than in mac n cheese! Looks delicious, thank you for sharing!
Thanks for your comment Kendra!!
Judit & Corina @WineDineDaily says
We both big fans of Mac & Cheese and this version with the blue cheese is serious gourmet Phi! Love the breadcrumbs on top:)
The panko breadcrumbs on top really give this dish an extra pizzazz, thanks for the comment J + C!
I go back and forth on how much I like blue cheese, but mixed into this deliciousness? I could be won over.
Why thanks for the comment Joanne, I totally think this recipe would win you over…especially since the bechamel smooths out the tang that I usually don’t like myself, but in this dish, I actually look for the chunks of blue cheese lol
Rachel Cooks says
This looks so amazing, Phi! Thanks for contributing it to mac and cheese mania!
Thanks for the comment Rachel and thanks for letting me participate and putting it all together, there are some awesome prizes up for grabs on your site 🙂 I’ve been so excited to post this recipe and have made it multiple times for ‘recipe testing’ lol.
Erin | The Law Student's Wife says
I’m in camp “I LOVE blue cheese” and would happily put this bechamel on just about everything in my life. Maybe with more blue cheese on top 😉
I totally agree Erin- I’d be super happy to have this bechamel on everything! And one cannot go wrong by adding more blue cheese 🙂 !
Charlotte Claypoole says
I LOVE this Mac and Cheese! (seriously seeing the pics is making my mouth water). It was so much fun to photograph and especially to eat! I wish that I could photograph all your delicious dishes all the time too Phi!
AWE Char, I wish you were here to photograph all my food too! It was so much fun to see you and cook with you…you took the prettiest pictures! Thanks for commenting 🙂
Who doesn’t love Mac and Cheese, right?! I do love me some good bleu cheese so this will be making an appearance in my kitchen! Also, your pots are so pretty!
Awe thank you thank you for your sweet comment – totally made my day 🙂 And if you love blue cheese, you will really love this recipe!
Love mac n cheese and this recipe hits the mark for sure. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for your comment Cheri! I too LOOOOVE mac n cheese, I even made this recipe twice … we’ll put it under the ‘recipe testing’ category lol, it was so good!