When you need a side dish that really wows, this butternut squash and bacon recipe is what you need to try! Plus, we added Brussels sprouts and, of course, some cheese to top it all off. Check it out now for a tasty fall recipe.
I don’t think it’s a surprise to say that bacon makes anything better – or at least we like to think so. It provides a nice bit of salt and a touch of smokey flavor that pairs perfectly with the vegetables in this dish.
What ingredients do you need to make butternut squash and bacon?
- Butternut squash
- Brussels sprouts
- Garlic cloves
- Maple syrup
- Red chili flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Cheddar cheese or goat cheese
You may have seen my post for butternut squash soup where I share one of my favorite tips for cooking with butternut squash. The tip is simply to buy frozen, already cubed butternut squash. It’s usually a great time saver and much easier than cutting up a butternut squash. While this recipe uses fresh butternut squash, if frozen is what you have, you can certainly make it work!
Can I use frozen butternut squash instead of fresh?
- Sure can! Simply thaw it first then proceed with the recipe. Note that frozen squash (thawed) will likely cook more quickly.
What meat goes well with squash?
- Bacon, of course! But if you are looking for a main protein, we love to use any type of pork.
- Sausage is also another great option – check out a simple sheet pan recipe that uses sausage and squash here.
Being from Wisconsin, people love to joke about how much we love cheese, but this dish is truly taken to the next level with the cheese topping. Once you’ve cooked your delicioius squash, Brussels sprouts and bacon, while the dish is still warm, top with chunks of goat cheese. Feel free to use cheddar, if you prefer.
Either way, topping this dish with a touch of cheese is the last piece to an amazing side dish!
Butternut Squash and Bacon
- 1 butternut squash diced. About 6 cups.
- 8 oz. brussels sprouts a generous cup. Cut them in half.
- 1/2 lb. bacon chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced.
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Cheddar cheese or goat cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Dice butternut squash and cut Brussels sprouts in half. Put in large glass bowl.
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Pour all ingredients, except bacon, over butternut squash and Brussels sprouts. Stir to coat.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Feel free to use a different size if that is what you have on hand.
- Add bacon and nestle between the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Top with cheese and enjoy!