This recipe for cheesy cornbread dipping sticks is super easy to make, tastes great on it’s own or as an accompaniment to soup. Plus, you can never go wrong with a cheesy topping!
To me, this is the perfect recipe to enjoy in the fall. I don’t know if it’s the colors of the dish, the fact that it pairs beautifully with soups or chilis or the fact that it is just so tasty! This cornbread is made with corn kernels and cut into dipping sticks!
What Ingredients do I need to make these dipping sticks?
- Yellow cornmeal
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Greek yogurt*
- You will mix water with Greek yogurt. You could just use more Greek yogurt or opt to use sour cream instead.
- Corn kernels – frozen, fresh or canned
- Cheddar cheese
Being from Wisconsin, you know we love a good bit of cheese, so I added one full cup of cheese on top. But if you prefer a little less cheese, you could go down to using a 1/2 cup.
How do I make cheesy cornbread dipping sticks?
- Preheat oven to 425. Grease a 9×13 baking pan.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sour cream, eggs, milk and melted butter until blended, stir in the corn kernels. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the corn bread is golden brown. Let cool slightly in the pan. Cut the corn bread into finger-sized sticks.
- Wrap leftovers in foil and then a freezer bag. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for 2 months.
You make this cheesy breadsticks recipe in a 9×13 baking dish so you can cut them in any way you’d like. I usually do breadsticks, but squares are great or even fun shapes for the kids.
You could absolutely enjoy these dipping sticks on their own, but I love to use mine as a side to a delicious soup, like this minestrone soup (pictured below).
If you’re looking for a way to sneak in some vegetables, these cornbread breadsticks are perfect because they have corn kernels in them. Enjoy!
Cheesy Cornbread Dipping Sticks
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. butter melted
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup water mix with Greek yogurt. Or just use 1 cup of Greek yogurt or 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels frozen, fresh or canned
- 1/2-1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425. Lightly spray with cooking spray or grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sour cream, eggs, milk and melted butter until blended. Stir in corn kernels. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until the corn bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean; about 20-25 minutes (when edges start to turn brown). Let cool slightly in the pan. Cut the cornbread into finger-sized sticks.
- Wrap leftovers in foil and then put in a freezer bag. Refrigerated for up to 5 days or freeze for 2 months.