This recipe has been on the long list of ones I have been meaning to re-create. I finally got around to re-making it and I am so glad I did because it reminded me just how delicious it is! If you can think of your favorite spinach dip and amp it up a notch or two, that’s this dip! The combination of parmesan cheese, sausage, spinach and peppers makes the most tasty, cheesy sausage dip – and the best part? It’s served in a bread boat!
This dip is one of my favorites because it’s a perfect recipe for when you need to bring something to a party. Why is it the perfect party dip? Well, you never have to worry about leaving your dish behind because the “dish” is edible! Serving in bread boats is the best!
I know I can really count a recipe as a success when Nick asks me for it time and time again and this dip is one of those recipes. I made it years ago for him and he still talks about it! The only problem was that every time I made it I’d always forget to take pictures of it (that almost happened again this time, but I made sure to snap a few pictures making the dip and how to make a bread boat for dips!)
I love making ooey gooey dips that I can bring to parties. In case you’re wondering what some other of our favorite dips for parties are, I wanted to share a few other amazing dips below:
Hmmmm, all of these dips seem to have something delicious in common – CHEESE! It’s fine, I love all of the cheese. I’ve really turned into a true Wisconsin girl I guess lol.
This cheesy sausage spinach dip can be served with almost anything you have around the house – pita chips, baguette slices, tortilla chips or by eating chunks of the bread boat it is served in! I’ve become known for my dips, and when going to parties I’m always asked to bring a dip.
This cheesy sausage spinach dip in a bread boat would be perfect to bring to any party or get together. If you don’t want to make the dip in a bread boat, you can make it in a disposable container and bring it to the party or you could make it in any baking dish you’d like, it’s delicious whichever way it’s served (bring on the cheesy goodness).
Cheesy Sausage Spinach Dip
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage mild or spicy
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, reduced fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream reduced fat
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise reduced fat
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup banana peppers chopped
- 2 cups baby Spinach
- 1 loaf of bread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Start by browning the Italian sausage in a pan over high heat-about 8 min (I didn't need any oil because the meat let off its own juices). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. After the meat starts to brown, add in the chopped up onion and red pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise (it helps if they're at room temperature, but a few lumps are ok). Mix until all are well combined and creamy.
- Then add the 1 cup of the Parmesan Cheese, chopped banana peppers, spinach, and sausage, peppers and onion mixture (drain any excess liquid from cooking before adding it). Mix until everything is combined.
- Make a bread boat or bowl by cutting the top off the loaf or round of bread and hollow out the loaf (saving the innards and cutting them into pieces for serving). You want to leave the bottom on the bread, but you can hollow out the sides.
- Next transfer the mixture into the bread boat (or a baking dish) and add sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over the dip. If baking in a bread boat, wrap the sides of the bread in aluminum foil leaving the top (dip) exposed. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.