Chicken with creamy mustard sauce is the easy dinner recipe you’ve been waiting for. Chicken is cooked to perfection with a creamy mustard pan sauce (yay for one pan chicken recipes too, less clean up) and is a recipe from Jessica Merchant’s new cookbook: Everyday Dinners!
Everyday Dinners: Real-Life Recipes to Set Your Family Up for a Week of Success is the newest cookbook from Jessica Merchant, who runs the super popular blog How Sweet Eats – a long time personal favorite of mine. I’ve talked about her many times before, her cookbooks always make my list of favorite cookbooks and I shared this recipe for baked bbq salmon with mango salsa from her last cookbook. She writes great recipes and makes beautiful cookbooks, this cookbook is no exception, I’d definitely recommend it!!
In Everyday Dinners, Jessica shares over 100 recipes which can each be made in 30 minutes, and she shares her meal prep tips for every recipe (she has a fun method called 10 minute meal prep which makes meal prep seem totally doable). Along with every recipe there’s a photo (a favorite feature of cookbooks- I always like seeing what I’m kind of supposed to be going for lol).
This chicken with a creamy mustard pan sauce stood out to me because growing up, my mom always made some version of chicken, a sauce, a vegetable and grain/pasta/starch. The sauces were more packet or jar based, so I was curious how this would turn out. WOW you guys – so so so good. The ingredients are simple and the instructions are straightforward. This is an easy chicken recipe we’ll be making on repeat, that’s for sure!
Tips/tricks for how to make chicken with a creamy mustard sauce:
- You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- You can prep ahead by mincing the garlic and chopping the shallot
- If you don’t have white wine, you can use chicken broth
- You can use an onion in place of a shallot
- If you want more of a saucy dish, you can double the sauce ingredients!
The kids – picky toddlers – loved this! My husband kept saying he wanted to drink the pan sauce. It’s super good. I loved the note in the cookbook about what to serve with chicken (couscous or roasted vegetables) and I just so happened to have a box of pear couscous and rounded the meal out with some broccoli.
As we were eating this delicious chicken recipe, I kept thinking how this is was going to be my go-to dish when we have friends over. It was so easy, yet delicious. Creamy pan sauce, everything made in one pan, and just delicious!! It is a comforting recipe that looks fancier than it is to make and definitely a crowd pleaser. When you pick up your copy of Everyday Dinners, turn to page 162 and make this!!
Chicken with creamy mustard sauce
- The Always Pan
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbs fresh parsley chopped, optional
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Season them with garlic powder and with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, place chicken in the skillet and cook for 6 minutes, then flip and cook for 4 minutes more. You want the internal temperature to be 165 degrees. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the same skillet. Once it's melted stir in the garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot softens, about 5 minutes. Sir in the white wine, bring the mixture to a simmer, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the mustard. Whisk in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Whisk in the cream and turn off the heat. Stir in the parsley (if using) and taste the sauce - if needed add another dash of salt and pepper. Add the chicken back to the pan and spoon pan sauce over chicken and serve.