Chocolate chip cookies are a beloved and timeless classic. There’s something undeniably comforting about biting into a perfectly baked chocolate chip cookie. But what if I told you that there’s a secret ingredient that can take your chocolate chip cookies to a whole new level of deliciousness? Enter cornstarch – the unsung hero of cookie baking! Cornstarch gives these chocolate chip the perfect texture, these chocolate chip cookies made with cornstarch are soft and chewy with a slightly crisp outside, they’re absolutely irresistible and my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. They’re my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Why Cornstarch? In this recipe we’re using cornstarch instead of baking powder. Cornstarch has a unique ability to add tenderness and moisture to baked goods. In this recipe, it helps create a delightful melt-in-your-mouth texture that sets these cookies apart from the rest and makes them extra chewy. This special ingredient is learned via Anna Olson’s recipe.
With the addition of cornstarch, these chocolate chip cookies achieve a level of softness and chewiness that will have you reaching for seconds (or thirds, fourth and fifths). The secret to the perfect chocolate chip cookie isn’t just in the quality of the ingredients but also in the thoughtful addition of cornstarch.
Another trick for making the perfect chocolate chip cookies is to chill your dough. You do this to help the butter solidify again with the ingredients and to prevent your dough from spreading too much when baking. 2 hours does the trick!
Next time you’re craving a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies, this should be your go-to recipe!
Chocolate chip cookies made with cornstarch
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened to room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4.5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer cream together the butter and brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add in the eggs and the vanilla extract and stir/blend until combined.
- Add in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt and stir/blend until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon stir in chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks).
- But batter bowl in the refrigerator for 2 hours before baking
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop dough onto baking sheet - 2 inches apart, I get 12 per baking sheet, 4 rows of 3.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are barely starting to turn brown. Then remove from oven.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat until all the cookies have been baked.