This chocolate turtle chex mix recipe is made from a delicious combination of pretzels, chocolate, caramel and Chex cereal. It’s perfect for the holidays and great for giving as a food gift!
I have fond memories of turtle candies. The’re kind of old timey and always seem to remind me of the holidays and growing up. One of my favorite treats was these candies, so anytime I can make something with similar flavors, it puts a smile on my face.
I was flipping through an old copy of a Taste of Home Homemade Gifts booklet and stopped when I saw a picture of this chocolately deliciousness! I immediately knew I needed to make a version of the recipe to share with you, so I adapted the recipe for this chocolate turtle chex mix with pretzels and cannot wait to share it.
Now, if you’re anything like me, you can never decide between salty and sweet. I swear, throughout the day, my mind changes approximately 87 times from craving something sweet to needing something salty.
So, the good news is that this recipe will satisfy all of the cravings. Seriously, throw some pretzels in with chocolate any day and I am one happy girl!
It snowed here on Halloween this year! And I’m not talking about a dusting of snow; we got quite a few inches. Crazy right?! Anyway, it seems like it has put a lot of people (myself included) into the holiday mood (I just shared a recipe roundup of Thanksgiving recipes that aren’t pie and this would definitely mike a nice addition to the list).
Don’t get me wrong, when I say holidays, I include Thanksgiving. We’re working on tons of Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff for the blog, so I just love this time of year. I’ve already started working on gifts for the holidays and this recipe fits right in.
Last year, I started giving food gifts more and more and people were loving it. Below are the two items I made last year that were a big hit.
This year, I am adding this chocolate turtle chex mix with pretzels recipe to my gift list. Beyond gifting, I am saving this recipe to use for any and all parties I attend. Why do I want to make this for all of the holiday parties? Well, this simple recipe makes a huge batch of goodies so there is plenty to go around and maybe even enough to bring some back home with you!
Greatest compliment of all? I made this chocolate turtle chex mix for a party when I was recipe testing it, and my sister-in-law came up to me (and she’s not even a chocolate person!) and she said “you have to go try some of that chocolate chex mix, it’s so good, you should ask for the recipe and make it for the blog”!! So next time you’re going to a party and want some compliments on your contribution, make and bring this party snack mix!!
- 1 pkg. (12.8 oz.) chocolate Chex cereal
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 caramel squares, chopped or 1 cup toffee bits
- 1 1/2 cups miniature pretzels
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, mix the cereal and pecans. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt; microwave, uncovered, on high until smooth, stirring once, 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in baking soda. Pour over the cereal mixture and toss to coat. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Spread onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; immediately sprinkle with chocolate and caramel (do not stir). Refrigerate until chocolate is set. Break into pieces. Stir in pretzels. store in an airtight container.