Thanksgiving was yesterday, did you have a wonderful day? Everyone knows that the second Thanksgiving is over, the excitement and preparations begin for Christmas!
And Christmas means holiday parties, get togethers, and of course red-and-green-themed everything, which is why I’d like to throw this Cranberry Christmas Cosmopolitan in the mix, because let’s face it, everything is better with a cocktail!
This isn’t just any ‘ole Cosmo (vodka, cranberry juice, lime and gran marnier), this Cranberry Christmas Cosmopolitan is made with a rich cranberry simple syrup and with Tangueray, giving it a hint of earthy pine-needle flavor.
I was feeling in the Christmasy cocktail mood and asked my husband if he could help me craft this drink, because he is mixologist in our household. It didn’t take much arm twisting, especially since we had all the ingredients in house and I agreed to be the sous chef.
The whole time we were making this cocktail I kept saying how gorgeous all the colors were. Deep beautiful reds…just looking at the ingredients had me all jazzed up about the Christmas season starting!
To make this Cranberry Cosmo you need to start with some fresh cranberries
And then you boil the cranberries with some sugar and water to make the cranberry syrup, then you want to cool the boiled cranberries long enough so that it’s cool (but not too long so that it congeals) then pulsate the cranberries in a food processor, strain it, stir in some lime zest, then pour a little into a cocktail shaker, squeeze in a lime wedge, then add in some gin, shake and serve!
And the end result? A delicious and beautiful cocktail that is sure to bring some Christmas cheer to you!
- 1 1/2 Cups Fresh Cranberries
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Lime zest zest from 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 2 oz gin per cocktail
- In a small pot bring cranberries, sugar and water to a boil (about 5 minutes) stirring occasionally. The cranberries will pop and open when done, you want most of them opened. Remove from heat and put in refrigerator to cool (about 1 hour- you want it cooled but not congealed.)
- After an hour pour cranberry mixture in a food processor and pulsate until it is a smooth liquid.
- Pour contents of food processor through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl or pitcher. Discard the cranberry skin remnants in the strainer. Add lime zest to the cranberry syrup and stir.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then pour 4oz cranberry syrup in the cocktail shaker, and then 2 oz gin (it's a 2 to one syrup to gin ratio) and squeeze in 1 tbs lime juice (1 lime wedge).
- Shake in the cocktail shaker and then pour into cocktail glasses. Garnish with a lime wedge and cranberry