This meal of Fire-Roasted Lemon Garlic Tilapia with Asparagus Fries and a yogurt dipping sauce is the perfect family friendly healthy meal to get the New Year started off right and is sponsored by Omaha Steaks, but as always, all opinions are mine alone. #ad
I’m excited to share this post with you today! Not only because, hello, asparagus fries? YUM! But because this is the first of a series of posts I’ll be doing in partnership with Omaha Steaks for their blog, Steakbytes. I’ll always share when I have a new post up on the Steakbytes blog on my social media pages (instagram: PhiliaKelnhofer , facebook: @Sweetphiblog , twitter: @sweetphi) and will also be sharing some of the recipes here on the Sweetphi blog.
Before I tell you all about how to make these amazing asparagus fries that you need to try…I wanted to tell you that I started a page called ‘Reader Recreations‘ that show whenever readers make a SweetPhi blog recipe. Be sure to check it out, and any time you make a #SweetphiBlog recipe I’d love if you’d share it with me on social media or by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Ah the New Year, it is upon us. With new hopes and aspirations guiding us, it is always a little exciting to start the New Year. And of course at the top of everyone’s list (at least mine) is eating healthier and making better food choices for our families. But let’s face it, that’s not always the easiest to do. Inspiration can be lacking, and then the age old question of what’s-for-dinner becomes all too difficult to answer. That’s where Omaha Steaks’ Fire-Roasted Lemon Garlic Tilapia Filets come in.
Only taking 20 minutes to bake, the light and flakey tilapia filets are super delicate in flavor and because they’re already fire roasted, they can even be heated up in the microwave for an even quicker meal time! Because tilapia is such a light tasting fish (it doesn’t have the strong ‘fishy’ taste that might be off putting to some) it is the perfect way to introduce healthy seafood to your family.
Today I’m going to show you how to make a meal with the fire roasted lemon garlic tilapia filets. To accompany the tilapia filets I’ll show you how to make asparagus fries and a totally delicious (and healthy) dipping sauce that ties the meal together.
To make this meal you’re going to start by prepping the tilapia. This is the easiest part of the meal. Simply line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray it with cooking spray. Then remove the tilapia filets from the box and place on the prepared baking sheet and set aside.
Now comes the fun of making asparagus fries (I say ‘fun’ because you’re going to absolutely fall in love with the end result, so much so that you’re going to forget that these little fries can take a little bit of time (and mess) to make). About halfway through making the fries, my husband shared a method for making them that I wish I would have known at the start (lol). It’s apparently called the ‘two-hand method. ’ You use one hand to pick up the asparagus and dredge it through the flour and place it in the egg, and then you use your other hand to coat it with egg and then coat it with the bread crumbs. This method keeps you from getting egg in the flour and from getting club hands. It really works, the two hand method made the process so much faster. When the asparagus spears are done being coated, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake the asparagus spears and tilapia at the same time. While the food is baking, you’re going to make the delicious dipping sauce. For the dipping sauce I wanted it to be like a tartar sauce (typically mayonnaise, pickles, lemon and dill), but healthier.
So the sauce is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise and is wonderfully delicious and perfect for dipping the asparagus fries in and for accompanying the fish.
There you have it, fire roasted lemon garlic tilapia with asparagus fries, a delicious and healthy meal. This is my new favorite play on ‘fish and chips’ and is perfect for the whole family to enjoy!
- 6 4-oz Fire-roasted lemon garlic tilapia filets from Omaha Steaks
- For the asparagus fries-
- 1 Bunch of asparagus ends trimmed and washed
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper
- 1 Egg beaten
- ½ Cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- For the dipping sauce-
- 1 Container 5.3oz plain Greek yogurt
- ½ Lemon juice
- 2 Dill pickles finely chopped
- ½ tsp Dill weed
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove tilapia filets from the bag and place them (fire roasted side up) on one of the baking sheets.
- Set up three shallow bowls, in the first bowl spoon 2 Tbs of flour and sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the flour. In the second bowl crack the egg and then beat it with a fork. In the third bowl place the seasoned bread crumbs. Now with one hand take one asparagus spear (they should already be cleaned and ends cut off) and dredge it through the flour, then place it in the egg mixture. With your other hand make sure the asparagus spear is coated in egg, and then place it in the breadcrumb bowl and press breadcrumbs so the asparagus spear is coated. Place it on the other prepared baking sheet. Repeat the process with remaining asparagus spears (coat with flour, egg, and bread crumbs).
- When all the asparagus spears are coated, place baking sheet in the oven on at a lower position, and place tilapia filets on upper rack. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the asparagus spears and with tongs rotate them. Place them back in the oven and bake for another 8 minutes. After 18 minutes remove the asparagus ‘fries’ and tilapia and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the asparagus and tilapia are baking, make the healthy tartar sauce. In a bowl combine Greek yogurt, squeeze half a lemon juice, 2 dill pickles finely chopped and ½ tsp dill week. Mix until the sauce has been combined.
- To serve the meal place one tilapia filet and three asparagus fries on a plate and serve with about a tablespoon or more of dipping sauce and enjoy!