For this weeks Five Ingredient Friday…Breaded Parmesan Zucchini & Eggplant Bites. Zucchini and Eggplant are in abundant supply at the farmers market, but I just so happened to have a small egg plant from my own garden that I wanted to use!! These little bites were quite good, next time though I’d serve them with a side of marinara sauce. I ate them with a grilled chicken breast and they were great as an accompaniment, but good as themselves too. This recipe is only very slightly modified from one I found from Ellie Krieger on the Food Network website (click here for original recipe, however, in the original recipe it says Zucchini Parmesan Crisps…I don’t know how why the word ‘crisps’ were used, they were soft with a nice coating).
- 1. Veggies: Zucchini & Eggplant I used 1 zucchini and 1 small eggplant
- 2. 1/4 cup Italian Seasoned Bread crumbs
- 3. 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 4. 1 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5. Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice the zucchini and eggplant into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices (if the eggplant is too big, cut it in half or quarters before slicing), put in a bowl and coat with olive oil.
- In another bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and salt.
- Coat the top of the zucchini and egg plant with bread crumb mixture, pressing on with figures to make it stick, and then place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, allow to cool for 5 minutes and then serve.