For this Five Ingredient Friday recipe, I’m brought back to very fond memories of college. On the weekends my best friend and I would get together for breakfast and I’d always make these Breakfast Potatoes….the crispy outsides, amazing flavor, oh the memories!
These potatoes make a great breakfast, but are also a great side dish in the evening…think Breakfast for Dinner or Brinner as my husband calls it. Serve it with a sunny side up egg, or if you’re like me a ‘cardboard’ egg because I don’t like the runny yolk lol. The picture below is clearly my husbands egg.
- 4 medium yellow potatoes or 2 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1-2 Tbs vegetable oil
- Spices: 1/2 tsp each salt pepper, garlic salt and onion salt, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (note, I like the potatoes to taste salty so I generally add a little more salt even after they're done cooking. Salt to taste preferences here)
- In a frying pan add 1 inch high water (about 1 cup) and bring to a boil, add the potato chunks and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess water off through a colander and return potatoes to pan.
- Add the oil and seasonings and cook for 10 minutes on medium-high, only flipping potatoes a few times so that the edges have a chance to get brown.
- Serve with a fried egg on top or as a side.