This post got lost in the cyber world from last Friday October 4th! I went looking for it, and it said it has ‘missed it’s schedule’ Ahhhh! So here it is again!
It’s squash season here in Wisconsin! This past weekend, my husband Nick and I went to the West Allis Farmers Market, and I got a beautiful Spaghetti Squash that I turned into Spaghetti Squash Mac N’ Cheese for Five Ingredient Friday, yum!! Here are some fun little pictures of our trip:
As you can see, it was very bright!! And that is the same Spaghetti squash I used in this recipe, and look at all the Pumpkins!
- 1. Spaghetti Squash mine was 3.5-4 lbs
- 2. 1 Egg
- 3. 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese I used Part Skim Ricotta
- 4. 1-1.5 cups Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 5. Seasonings: 1 tsp each Salt Pepper, Garlic Salt
- To cook the spaghetti squash I just wiped the squash clean, then poked a fork into the squash 3 times, and put it in a microwave safe bowl and microwaved it for 18 min.
- Preheat the oven to 450 and take the squash out of the microwave and let sit for 5-10 minutes until it is not to hot to handle. On a cutting board cut the squash in half, and then clean out the inner seeds. With two forks, pull the 'spaghetti' of the squash away from the sides of the skin and put it in a big bowl, save the emptied skins to cook in. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, ricotta and seasonings, and then 1 cup of the cheddar. Pour over squash and incorporate well. Scoop half the mixture back into each emptied squash side and sprinkle a little cheddar on top (I poked two little holes at the bottom of the emptied squash to let any liquid release), and put in an oven safe baking dish and bake for 15 minutes, let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
The prep of the spaghetti Squash
Ok look at your hand, how look back at the picture, those onions were the largest i’ve ever seen! They were almost as big as my head! lol
I got flowers from my hubby 🙂
Came across this recipe while looking for something new to make with the spaghetti squash. I was skeptical at best because of how simplified the Mac and cheese part of this was. As it turns out, it was just a advertised… Simple and delicious. I’ll definitely turn to this again and again as a main dish by adding some chicken and broccoli. Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks for the comment Adam, that is really nice of you to say, and i’m so glad you liked it and that the dish turned out for you! This dish is one of my favorite 5 ingredient Friday ones!
Going to try your spaghetti squash recipe. You and Nick visited my favorite place back in the area. The West Allis Farmers Market. Read your blog all the time
Thanks for the sweet comment Rita, and thanks for reading the blog 🙂 We love that the farmers market is so close to us, and when we were there, we just couldn’t pass up the bins of beautiful squash!