Over the past ten years (plus), I’ve made this gluten free lemon cake (made with almond flour) and honey lemon coated summer berries countless times! It’s light and refreshing with perfectly balanced flavors.
I shared this recipe back in 2012 here on the blog, at which point I’d already been making it for years, today I’m resharing the recipe with some updated photos.
The recipe for this delicious gluten free lemon cake was discovered when I was reading a magazine that had a spread about restaurant dishes celebrities loved which were indulgent but also wouldn’t break the calorie bank. I wrote the recipe down and never looked back (I wish I would have remembered what magazine it was, but alas, I do not.)
I love gluten free recipes that really amp up the flavor and taste super good, and don’t even taste like they’re gluten-free. This lemon berry cake is perfect for the summer. If you’re looking for a gluten free fall recipe, I’d recommend this gluten-free pumpkin loaf.
How do you make gluten free lemon cake with almond flour?
To make this gluten free lemon cake with almond flour, you’re going to have three separate bowls:
- 1 bowl combining 1/3 sugar and flours (this cake uses almond flour and corn flour – masa harina flour)
- 1 bowl combining 1/3 sugar and egg yolks
- 1 bowl combining 1/3 sugar and egg whites
Folded together, the ingredients combine to make a light and fluffy cake!
Honey citrus sauce berries for cake topping
As a cake topping, you’re going to combine lemon, honey, vanilla extract and berries. When spooned over the cake, the honey lemon sauce from the berries seems down and adds the most beautiful, hint of sweet sauce to the cake.
I can’t tell you how delicious this gluten free lemon cake made with almond flour is, and how many compliments it’s gotten. It’s one of my favorite recipes and is so light and bright and flavorful. If you’re looking for a gluten free cake recipe, I’d recommend this one!
- For the Torte: Parchment paper and cooking spray
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tbs almond flour
- ⅔ cup corn flour-finely ground up cornmeal
- 4 Large eggs, yolks and whites divided
- 2 tbs grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs fresh orange juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the topping:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 cups berries
- Heat oven to 350. Line a springform pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine ⅓ cup sugar and flours in a bowl
- Whip ⅓ cup sugar and egg yolks in another bowl with an electric mixer about 5 minutes. Beat in zest, oil, lemon juice and orange juice
- Beat egg whites and salt in a third bowl with an electric mixer until frothy. Beat in remaining ⅓ cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold ⅓ of egg-white mixture into batter. Fold in remaining egg-white mizture. Pour batter into pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. When cooled release from springform and gently put on serving plate.
- For the topping: Combine all ingredients except for the berries and mix. Add the berries and spoon onto the cake
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!