These Greek Spinach Feta Chicken Squares are packed full of Mediterranean flavors and with the flaky phyllo dough make for a wonderful dinner. If you’re like me, you probably don’t have Filo (phyllo dough) or pastry dough in your freezer…so I decided to make some because I had all the other ingredients! Really…I made Filo dough!! I watched a little YouTube video found here. It turned out great (as you can see in the above picture) but if you want a faster version, I would definitely make this again with store bought pastry dough!
- For the Filo phyllo dough:
- 2-3 cups flour
- Dash of salt
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 cup Water
- you will need about 3 Tbs olive oil for brushing between the layers
- For the Spinach Feta Chicken filling
- 1 lb chicken cut into cubes
- 1/2 an onion finely chopped
- 1/2 lb Feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbs Cream Cheese I used reduced fat
- 1 bag spinach mine was 5oz, but it could have used a little more spinach so i'd double it next time
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs dried parsley flakes
- 1 Tsp dried dill
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- For the Filo (phyllo) dough: Start by pouring 2 cups flour in a bowl, next add a dash of salt. Make a well with a wooden spoon and pour 2 Tbs olive oil and 1/2 a cup of water. Stir with wooden spoon until combined. Add another 1/2 cup of water and stir. Add a little flour on top and then start kneading it, the dough is ready when it stops sticking to your hands. Cover with a damp cloth for an hour. After resting, cut the dough into 4 parts. Sprinkle some flour on a flat surface and roll one piece of the dough out as thin as you can, and then take your hands and gently stretch the bottom of the dough until it is a thin as you can get it. Brush the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil, then lay one layer of the Filo dough down and fold over the edges and bush with olive oil. Roll out and stretch another layer and lay that down in the pan, let the edges of this layer flop over the sides. Add the filling and then fold over the edges and brush with olive oil. Then roll and stretch the third and fourth layer and place on top and brush with olive oil. Bake at 400 for half an hour or until the dough is brown on top.
- For the Spinach Feta Chicken Filling: in a pan that will be big enough to hold all the spinach add chopped up onion and cubed chicken. Add seasonings and cook until chicken is almost not pink anymore, then add the spinach and stir until it has cooked down. Turn off heat and set aside. In a bowl whisk the two eggs and cream cheese, crumble in the Feta and mix well. Add the spinach and chicken to the cheese mixture and combine.
Here is a collage of me making the dough 🙂 Have you ever made Filo dough?