Ah, sweet summertime, a time when the weather is warmer, there are a million and one activities planned, and one can grill dinner and eat outside! This grilled lemon basil chicken and peppers dish is one I make quite frequently in the summer
This dish has such a fresh and summery taste to it, and it has to do with how the I’m obsessed with this chicken which is marinated and then grilled…the secret to which is marinading the chicken in YOGURT!
And when I’m talking about yogurt, I’m talking about my favorite kind of yogurt – Stonyfield Organic Yogurt!
When you marinate the chicken in yogurt, it not only adds extraordinary flavor, but keeps the chicken super juicy throughout the cooking process, no plain chicken here.
I’ve recently become totally in love with grilling dinner and sitting outside just relaxing and talking with my husband…and that is one of the reasons this dish is one of my favorites, because it actually allows me to sit outside and enjoy some time with him rather than being inside prepping the food for the grill.
All you do to prep this dish is make a marinade with yogurt, a little olive oil, lemon juice and then lemon basil (any fresh herb would work, this lemon basil is straight from our yard, but any fresh herb would work, think thyme, rosemary, basil or oregano) and then let the chicken marinade while you start the grill, then grill the chicken and when it is almost cooked through, move it to indirect heat and then throw on some bell peppers or mini sweet bell peppers to grill – they only take 5 minutes or so.
The chicken is so good, I always end up making a double batch! It goes perfectly on top of salads or with a side of rice, or even by itself with a delicious veggie (like grilled peppers) on the side.
My mouth is watering just thinking about this dish! Have you ever made chicken marinaded in yogurt?
Grilled Lemon Basil Chicken & Peppers
- 1 lb Chicken Breasts each breast cut in half or in thirds
- 1 Cup Plain Yogurt I use Stonyfield Organic Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon juice of lemon
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 Tbs Lemon basil chopped (any fresh herb can be used)
- 1 tsp salt & pepper
- 6 bell peppers or sweet small peppers
- In a bowl combine yogurt, olive oil, juice of lemon, garlic, lemon basil and salt and pepper. Stir all ingredients until well combined.
- Place chicken strips into the marinade and cover, refrigerate for half an hour (or up to overnight).
- Prep your grill (light the charcoal on fire and get it ready for grilling).
- Now place your chicken on the grill and cook each side for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Move the chicken to indirect heat and put the bell peppers, whole, onto the grill. Cook each side 2 minutes, or until you see char marks. Remove from grill and put on a plate and put chicken in a serving dish. Serve chicken with a bell pepper on the side and enjoy!
I am honored to be a member of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. I received product or coupons for writing this post, but all opinions are, as always 100% my own.