This incredibly delicious harissa and citrus baked salmon comes together in 20 minutes and is perfect for dinner and lunches during the busy work week!
It’s always my goal to be able to do meal prep on the weekends and have everything ready to go for a smooth week ahead. But the reality is that that is just not always the case. So, when I don’t have a plan for dinner, I need something quick and delicious!
Every time I go to Costco, I can never resist buying a beautiful piece of salmon. Well, we had a fillet that needed to be made, but I was stuck on what to do with it.
I was looking in my pantry and found a jar of Harissa and immediately thought back to when Heidi of Foodiecrush made chicken grilled under a brick with harissa. I had bookmarked the recipe because it looked so good! The day I was making this, I didn’t have any chicken, the grill wasn’t ready and I didn’t have any bricks handy, so I need I had to get creative.
What ingredients do you need for harissa and citrus baked salmon?
- Salmon filet – about 2 lbs.
- Green Onions
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
What is harissa?
- Harissa is a Tunisian hot chili pepper paste. The main ingredients are roasted red peppers, Serrano peppers and other hot chili peppers and spices and herbs, such as garlic paste, coriander seed, or caraway as well as some vegetable or olive oil for preservation (thanks wikipedia).
- You can find it in the Moroccan section of the grocery store – often near Indian items. I bought a mild one and it wasn’t spicy at all! Next time I get harissa I’m going to get the ‘normal’ or spicier version because I’m starting to like dishes with a little bit of heat!
As if made for salmon, the beautiful rich flavors of the harissa with notes of citrus from the orange and lemon baked into the salmon perfectly! The best part was that the salmon (and roasted broccoli I made with it) was done in 20 minutes, AND, since it has less than 5 ingredients it makes the perfect recipe for this week’s Five Ingredient Friday!
But, in case you’re curious, I did try the chicken grilled under a brick with harissa and it was so good!
Harissa and Citrus Baked Salmon
- 1 salmon filet I typically get one that is 2 lbs. or 25-32oz
- 3/4 cup harissa
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 3 green onions chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Pat salmon filet dry with a paper towel and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the salmon filet with salt and pepper, then spoon the harissa over the salmon - use the back of a spoon or a spatula to evenly distribute the harissa over the salmon.
- Cut the orange and lemon in half, squeeze one half of each the orange and lemon over the salmon. Slice remaining halves into slices and place on top of the salmon. Sprinkle green onions over the salmon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve!
Recipe adapted from Foodiecrush’s recipe for chicken grilled under a brick with harissa.