With the holidays just around the corner, these healthy pecan pie bars are a recipe that’s sure to surprise and delight any guests that stop by for a visit. These healthy pecan pie bars are buttery, caramelly and super tasty!
I love when I’m baking or cooking and the house just smells like the holidays – it always puts a smile on my face. It just isn’t the holidays without pecan pie, is it? It’s one of my favorite desserts at Thanksgiving.
But, there’s no nice way to say this…it’s a little heavy and calorie laden.
I know a lot of people are looking for healthy dessert alternatives for the holidays (I did an Instagram poll asking what types of holidays recipe people were looking for, and the #1 response was healthier treats!)
Then I was flipping through the pages of the cookbook Cooking that Counts (1200-1500 calorie meal plans from the editors of Cooking Light) and spotted this beautiful recipe for maple pecan bars, clocking in at 149 calories.
I’ve made many many recipes from the cookbook, and they all come out great. These healthy pecan pie bars were no exception.
They’re chewy and taste just like a pecan pie!
I made these bars for a housewarming party and they all got eaten, no one even knew they were on the healthier side!
These healthy pecan pie bars are a wonderful addition to any holiday party and offer a healthy alternative for a holiday treat!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Pecan Pie Carmelita Bars
- 5 Ingredient Toasted Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Cinnamon Sugar Pecan Challah Braid
Healthy Pecan Pie Bars
- Four the crust:
- 1 cups flour all purpose, gluten free, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup whole pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 9 inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- To make the crust: in a food processor combine flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt, pulse until mixture resembles a fine meal.
- Press the flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until the edges of the crust are slightly browned.
- While the crust makes, make the filling: Combine the syrup and the next 3 ingredients (through 1 tablespoon butter) in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat; add the pecans and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, stirring with a whisk. Pour the mixture into the hot crust. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until the filling is bubbling. Cool completely in the pan. Cut into 20 bars.