Slightly sweet with a hint of spice, hot honey is an amazing condiment that goes on pizzas, chicken, cheese and more. I always make my hot honey at home, so I’m going to show you how easy it is to make hot honey (only 2 ingredients in this recipe!)
I first had a sample of hot honey when I got a meal delivery kit as a new mom. It was a topping for chicken wings by a brand called Mike’s Hot Honey. When my sample packet ran out, I couldn’t find it at the store so I decided to make some, and haven’t looked back since.
What is hot honey?
- Hot honey is simply honey infused with chili peppers (dried).
- It is a condiment or sauce of infused honey
- It is the perfect combination of slightly sweet and slightly spicy
How to make hot honey sauce
- To make hot honey, all you do is add dried red pepper flakes to honey, warm it up a little (30 seconds in the microwave) to release the chili oils from the dried chili spice into the honey. Let it sit for a few days to increase the intensity!
- If you don’t want your honey to really be hot or have the pepper flakes in it (which I personally like) you could strain the honey after it has sat with the chili flakes in it for 24 hours.
How do you use hot honey?
- Hot honey sauce is a great condiment which can be drizzled on pizzas, bread, roasted veggies, chicken, pork sandwiches, salad, and is great as a dipping sauce for nuggets or on a charcuterie/cheese board.
What will you use homemade hot honey on? Let me know in the comments below!
Homemade hot honey
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Pour honey in a microwave safe bowl or jar
- Add in dried pepper flakes. Stir
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove and stir. Drizzle on food or keep in a clean air-tight container
- optional step: strain through a mesh sleeve into a clean jar