Oh my goodness, I’m back at it with my Instant Pot, which makes the best ever instant pot sausage sweet potato soup recipe in such a short amount of time! You’re going to love this flavorful soup and love how easy it is to make in an Instant pot (or slow cooker).
Lately I’m all about my Instant Pot. Just this week I made a batch of the best loaded baked potato soup and over the weekend I made an entire turkey meatloaf dinner (with potatoes and green beans) in the Instant Pot.
I also made spaghetti and meat sauce in the Instant Pot, a recipe I definitely need to share with you guys asap! Oh oh, I also put 4 frozen chicken breasts with 3 cups of chicken broth in the instant pot and cooked it for 45 minutes and then shredded it to make into chicken salad. From the freezer, into the instant pot! You guys! The Instant Pot is amazing!
So…my love for the instant pot is every evident.
One of my absolute favorite things to make in the Instant Pot is soup, because it pressure cooks, all the flavors meld together and the soup tastes like it has been cooking for hours, but really only takes minutes!
This Instant Pot sausage sweet potato soup with kale and orzo is so yummy and perfect for fall and winter.
It’s a hearty soup that is so easy to make!! All you do is use the saute setting on your instant pot and saute some hot Italian sausage (or you could use turkey sausage) with some yellow onion, then add in the rest of the ingredients (kale, sweet potato and whole wheat orzo and let the instant pot do it’s job.
Less than 1/2 an hour later, you have the most amazing sausage sweet potato soup you’ve ever had! My son Ben loves this soup, he had two servings for lunch the other day!
If you’re gluten free, you could use wild rice or a gluten free orzo in place of the whole wheat orzo I have listed in the recipe.
And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, you could make this soup via a slow cooker by cooking the soup on low for 8 hours. If you’d like to win an Instant Pot, be sure to sign up for my newsletter! I’m doing an email-subscriber-only giveaway for an Instant Pot, details announced in the October 2018 weekly newsletters (which get sent out every Friday!)
Shop this post:
I’d love to hear from you in the comments section: what is your favorite soup?
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Healthy Slow Cooker Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 5 Ingredient Tomato White Bean and Noodle Soup
- Healthy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Instant Pot Sausage Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped (I usually use about a 1/2 of an onion)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 oz. hot Italian sausage no casings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch curly kale stems removed and chopped
- 4 oz whole wheat orzo
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese shredded or grated for topping
- Peel, chop and prep all the veggies.
- Select the Saute setting on a 6 quart Instant Pot for 5 minutes and pour in the olive oil, then add in the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add in the garlic and hot Italian sausage, sprinkle in salt and pepper and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potato cubes, curly kale, whole wheat orzo, chicken broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Soup or Stew setting and set the cooking time for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- When the timer goes off, turn the valve from Sealing to Venting to release the pressure. This will make a hissing sound and the steam will come out which takes a few minutes (mine usually takes about 5 minutes). When it is done releasing steam, open the lid and stir, then ladle into 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 of the parmesan cheese (1/4 oz.) and enjoy!
For slow cooker instructions:
- Peel, chop and prep all the veggies.
- In a medium pan/skillet pour in the olive oil, then add in the onion and saute for 2 minutes on high, then add in the garlic and hot Italian sausage, sprinkle in salt and pepper and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer contents of the pan/skillet into a crockpot/slow cooker. Add in sweet potato cubes, curly kale, whole wheat orzo, chicken broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on, and cook for 8 hours on low.
- When done cooking ladle into 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 of the parmesan cheese (1/4 oz.) and enjoy!