Oh my goodness, it’s another great Instant Pot recipe! This instant pot sausage sweet potato soup recipe comes together in such a short amount of time! You’re going to love this flavorful soup and love how easy it is to make in an Instant pot (or slow cooker).
The Instant Pot is just the very best for making soup. Phi is always making recipes using hers. A few of her favorite recipes this loaded baked potato soup or event this turkey meatloaf dinner (with potatoes and green beans). Using the Instant Pot is just a great way to get a great meal on the table in a fraction of the time.
What ingredients go into sausage sweet potato soup?
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Hot Italian sausage
- Sweet potatoes
- Curly kale
- Whole wheat orzo
- Chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese
One of my absolute best things to make in the Instant Pot is soup, because it pressure cooks, all the flavors meld together and the soup tastes like it has been cooking for hours, but really only takes minutes!
This Instant Pot sausage sweet potato soup with kale and orzo is so yummy and perfect for fall and winter.
It’s a hearty soup that is so easy to make!!
How do you make sausage sweet potato soup in the Instant Pot?
- Use the sauté setting on your instant pot and sauté some hot Italian sausage (or you could use turkey sausage) with some yellow onion.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients (kale, sweet potato and whole wheat orzo)
- Let the instant pot do it’s job
Less than 1/2 an hour later, you have the most amazing sausage sweet potato soup you’ve ever had!
If you’re gluten free, you could use wild rice or a gluten free orzo in place of the whole wheat orzo listed in the recipe.
And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, you could make this soup via a slow cooker by cooking the soup on low for 8 hours.
Shop this post:
I’d love to hear from you in the comments section: what is your favorite soup?
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Healthy Slow Cooker Lentil and Vegetable Soup
- 5 Ingredient Tomato White Bean and Noodle Soup
- Healthy Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Instant Pot Sausage Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped (I usually use about a 1/2 of an onion)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 oz. hot Italian sausage no casings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash freshly ground pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes large, peeled and cubed
- 1 bunch curly kale stems removed and chopped
- 4 oz whole wheat orzo
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese shredded or grated for topping
- Peel, chop and prep all the veggies.
- Select the Saute setting on a 6 quart Instant Pot for 5 minutes and pour in the olive oil, then add in the onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add in the garlic and hot Italian sausage, sprinkle in salt and pepper and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potato cubes, curly kale, whole wheat orzo, chicken broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and set the pressure release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Soup or Stew setting and set the cooking time for 12 minutes at high pressure.
- When the timer goes off, turn the valve from Sealing to Venting to release the pressure. This will make a hissing sound and the steam will come out which takes a few minutes (mine usually takes about 5 minutes). When it is done releasing steam, open the lid and stir, then ladle into 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 of the parmesan cheese (1/4 oz.) and enjoy!
Slow cooker instructions
- Peel, chop and prep all the veggies.
- In a medium pan/skillet pour in the olive oil, then add in the onion and saute for 2 minutes on high, then add in the garlic and hot Italian sausage, sprinkle in salt and pepper and saute for an additional 3 minutes.
- Transfer contents of the pan/skillet into a crockpot/slow cooker. Add in sweet potato cubes, curly kale, whole wheat orzo, chicken broth and water. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on, and cook for 8 hours on low.
- When done cooking ladle into 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 of the parmesan cheese (1/4 oz.) and enjoy!
Sheera DeGroot says
I think my favorite soup is tomato! With a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold night it’s so comforting!
Probably chicken noodle. It’s a classic for a reason! ?
Samantha Flores says
Looks so AMAZING!! My favorite soup is Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana <3
Donna Chouramanis says
I LOVE new England clam chowder and have made it in my slow cooker!
Sharon Heisler says
My favorite soup is Farmers Market vegetable soup … its perfect for a rainy fall day here in Minnesota!
Teresa Cianciotto says
My favorite soup to make during the fall is pumpkin chili!
Shelley Ashby says
I’ve never tried a sweet potato soup before. I’ll have to whip this up as it sounds very good. I love a good, hearty beef and cabbage soup during the winter. I didn’t know I’d like that either until I tried it. 🙂
Sharon S says
I’ve been reading some of your Instant Pot recipes and they look wonderful! I would love to have an IP. I’ve been using the old slow cooker to make my favorite Loaded Baked Potato soup. Thanks for the recipes, tips and stories in your newsletter. They always come in handy and are enjoyable.
My favorite year-round soup is creamy tomato! Is there a instant pot recipe for that?
Monica M says
Looks delish – love anything made with sweet potatoes. Going to try this recipe in my slowcooker. Thanks!!
My favorite soup is chicken pot pie soup???
Love your blog and cookbook?
Lisa Glassock says
My fav soup is the lentil one you made with lots of hidden veg -all the children eat it and don’t realise just how healthy it is and when the winter bugs arrive it’s a lifesaver, so thank you ?
Kathleen Muenkel says
My favorite go to in the colder months is a hearty lentil soup. It warms and fills me up!
My fav soup is turkey meatball with kale!
Lisa Burkhart says
My favorite soup is homemade Bean with ham soup. Nice and thick.. Very hearty and yummy
Lynn Lovejoy says
Omg how do I choose? I love butternut squash soup in the fall and a simple lentil soup in the winter. Chicken noodle when sick!!
Sonja Manuel says
I love soups in the fall and winter. My favorite is a beef stew which I have always made in my slow cooker with potatoes, carrots, and onions. Now that I am on the keto diet from my physician, I intend to substitute radishes for the potatoes. I hope it works out.
Lauren W. says
I love clam chowder or Portuguese bean soup. But now that I moved back to Hawaii, I don’t eat as much soup anymore since it’s so warm all the time!
Marci Garver says
The favorite soup at our house is baked potato soup made from a recipe that was handed down through the family to me. It’s one of the reasons I look forward to autumn! 🙂
Oh yum, that sounds good, and is so special that it as handed down.
Frances Donohue says
So many soups to choose from! Probably vegetable beef. My grandmother made the best.
Yum, sounds amazing.
Jackie A Conrad says
Your Healthy Lentil soup is our favorite. I have a close family member attempting to fight cancer and I make this for them every two weeks. I’ve never used an Instant Pot but would love the opportunity.
So happy to hear you love the lentil soup – I love that one too! Thanks for commenting 🙂
Danielle Bacon says
I would have to say my favorite soup is my grandpas split pea soup.. i haven’t had it in years and i probably never will have it again as he has passed away. But he never wrote down his recipe as everything was in his head.
Aw, that memory is beautiful, so sad to hear he passed and the recipe didn’t get passed down.
My favorite soup is broccoli and cheese
Broccoli cheddar or good old chicken noodle. I love soup!
YUM, love both of those!
Tamara B. says
My favorite soup has to be Caribbean Black Bean Soup. I love to make it and serve it with some nice crusty bread.
Oh that sounds so good!
Andrea Rentea says
I love root veggies,orange beets, carrots, parsnips, kohlrabi and onion soup. Your soup with sweet potatoes sounds delicious and we will make it soon. Your photos as always are stunningly beautiful and real and make one want to cook. Thank you always for sharing.
Yum, your favorite soup sounds amazing, and thank you so much for the kind words 🙂
Sharon Pepple says
Your sweet potato soup sounds very yummy—I will have to give it a try, as my husband loves sweet potatoes. Thank you. My favorite soup is Beef Barley Soup. I usuallly receive many compliments when I make it. It would make well in an instant pot. I usually make it on the stove.
I think you’ll love the soup 🙂 Your favorite soup sounds delicious as well
Rosanne Robinson says
My favourite soup is good old fashion chicken or turkey noodle soup, it’s comforting and can be customized.
Yum, totally agree, it can be customized:)
Aleksandra Miletic says
I would have to say my favorite soup is chicken pot pie from the crock pot. I love soups that have a lot of vegetables and meat.
Oh my goodness, that sounds like such a good soup, definitely adding it to my list
Jen Moran says
I adore all soups in general from a warm hearty bone broth to my go to
leek and potato soup sprinkled with fresh chives, crispy bacon bits and a cool dollop of sour cream. but of course to make it complete I always make a big thick slice of parmigiana and pecorino cheese toast, Tear it up in pieces and drop them in Soooo Yummy!
Makes me a very happy lady.
Aren’t soups amazing? Yours sounds amazing!