These love bug pancakes were SO fun to make with the kids!! I’m now officially “that mom” who makes fun seasonal pancake shapes. Love bug pancakes are perfect for a special Valentine’s Day breakfast, and I’m sharing my go-to pancake recipe which makes the best fluffiest pancakes every time!
To make these extra festive for Valentine’s Day, we used red food coloring, but you can make the wings of the love bugs green, blue, pink or any color you’d like!
What do you need to decorate love bug pancakes?
- Candy eyes – we used these
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – you can also use white chocolate chips if you’d prefer
- Black gel frosting/writing gel – you’ll use this for antennas and smile. Or you could use pretzel pieces or candy licorice
- Red food coloring, or any color you’d like
Love Bug Pancakes
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder * please see note, make sure your baking powder doesn't contain aluminum
- 4 drops red food color
- Candy eyes, chocolate chips, black gel frosting
- In a bowl mix the milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and 3 eggs. Whisk until well combined. Add in the flour and baking powder. Stir until mixed. It's ok to have a few lumps in the batter, if you mix it too much, your pancakes might turn out a little chewy.
- Divide batter between two bowls. Into one bowl add 4 drops of red food coloring and mix. Let batter sit for 5 minutes while the griddle heats.
- Heat a griddle (or non-stick pan). Spray with a little cooking spray. Spoon the batter onto the griddle (or pan) - you'll need small heads (about 1 tablespoon batter) and medium bodies (about 2-3 tablespoons of batter) and wings (the colored batter - about 3-4 tablespoons batter). Cook pancakes until the edges are dry and you can start to see bubbles appear on the surface, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and cook for another minute.
- Transfer pancakes to a cooling rack (or keep pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven until you have them all made).
To assemble love bugs:
- Cut the colored pancake in half. On a plate place a small head, a body, and then the colored wings on top of the body. Place the eyes, draw on the antenna and the smile, place chocolate chips on the wings and voila, enjoy!