Who doesn’t love Mexican food?! I’m sharing my favorite Mexican chicken and quinoa bowls recipe so you can enjoy simple naturally gluten-free Mexican dinner any night of the week. I love prepping the components ahead of time and then making these chicken and quinoa bowls for a quick dinner during the week, where everyone can choose what toppings they like.
Putting quinoa on the bottom of any bowl always makes me feel better because I know I’m getting a good dose of protein to start the meal off right. But, it’s the toppings that really make all the difference! I love making a good ‘bowl’ meal, it’a great for a meal prep recipe.
A friend of mine has two kids – one loves avocados, one loves black beans. So I shared this recipe with her and her kids are in love. I mean, one gets a bowl without avocados and one gets a bowl without black beans, but still amazing!
The toppings for this Mexican chicken and quinoa bowls recipe are easy:
- black beans
- chunky salsa or pico
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
This recipe reminds me a bit of my cheesy chicken and rice enchilada casserole. Rice on the bottom and Mexican flavors on the top. Delish! And both are quick and easy dinners.
I like to prep these Mexican chicken and quinoa bowls on the weekend and then have everything ready to go for a quick dinner during the week. I just separate everything in containers, and then when we need a quick dinner, I just put everything on the table and let everyone choose their toppings.
Mexican Chicken and Quinoa Bowls
- 1 Boneless/skinless chicken breast Cooked (see cooking instructions below or use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup Quinoa Cooked (see cooking instructions below, or use premade 90-second quinoa)
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cheddar shredded
- 1/4 cup chunky salsa (or pico)
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 Tbs sour cream
Cook Quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked quinoa to 1 cup water) for 2 servings
- Rinse quinoa for about 30 seconds.
- Combine quinoa and water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to low and cook until quinoa has absorbed all of the water.
- Coat chicken in olive oil, a dash of salt, pepper,1 pressed garlic clove (or a dash of garlic salt) and if you have some cumin and chili powder, sprinkle a little on. Bake until done. Time will vary depending on size of chicken breast. Slice and enjoy. Or prep ahead.Alternatively, pan fry the chicken breast or cook it in a slow cooker.
- To assemble bowls -divide quinoa between two bowls, and divide toppings between the bowls-chicken, black beans, cheddar cheese, avocado and sour cream. Enjoy!