Kind of like monster cookies, but better…there’s a treasure…a surprise in these cookies! These M&M’s surprise cookies will have you grabbing cookie after cookie, and are from The Weeknight Dessert Cookbook: 80 Irresistible Recipes with Only 5 to 15 Minutes of Prep Time by Mary Younkin of the blog Barefeetinthekitchen.com
You may recognize Mary’s name, because I’ve shared recipes on my blog (and she has a wildly popular blog) from her first two cookbooks:
- Cheesy chicken and rice enchilada casserole from her first book The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook: Simple Family-Friendly Recipes for Everyday Home Cooking
- Whole wheat banana bread muffins recipe from her second book The Weekday Lunches & Breakfasts Cookbook: Easy & Delicious Home-Cooked Meals for Busy Families
I love knowing other bloggers in the food blog community, they are a talented bunch, and Mary is not only one of the very talented ones (hello – 3 cookbooks…writing a cookbook is not easy) and is one of the sweetest. We’ve become “internet friends” and as I’ve had my kids and other life things, Mary is just always there with encouraging words of love and support. Kindness like that doesn’t go unnoticed or unappreciated!
These cookies are so good!
They’re soft cookies but have a wonderful crunch – from the cornflakes (although you could use graham crackers or other mix ins you’d like!)
Because of M&M’s, these are great cookies for themed events and holidays. Think green/red M&M’s for Christmas, or red/pink for Valentines day, light blue or pink ones for baby showers…things like that!
These cookies are really easy to make. They have great texture and the perfect sweetness to them.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Tuxedo Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Caramel Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- Vanilla Bean Chocolate Chunk Cookies
M&M's Surprise Cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup M&M's candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat
- in a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Slowly add in the flour and baking soda, making sure they are well incorporated. Add the cornflakes, chocolate chips and M&M's. Stir to mix throughout the dough.
- Use a #40 (2-tablespoon) cookie scoop to portion the dough into balls. Bake on the prepared baking sheet for 11 minutes. Remove from the oven when the cookies are puffy and barely cooked through - do not let them brown.
- The cookies should be round and pillow-like (and not browned at all) when they're ready to come out of the oven. Let them cool for 1 minute on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack. They will settle into dips and ridges as they cool. Store completely cool cookies in an airtight container.
Shoshana Rose says
This would be a perfect way to use up M&Ms left over from trick-or-treating!
Oh I love that idea, totally going to make these with my son’s left over M&Ms!
These cookies look amazing! Totally going to give them a try!