Need the most delicious homemade granola recipe? I’ve got you covered with these peanut butter banana chocolate chip granola bars, and I’m sharing some of my favorite road trip snacks, and there’s a giveaway, such a fun post today!
I love homemade granola bars. I love combining different ingredients and the hearty flavors that one can create at home. Anyone who has ever made granola bars at home will tell you that they are 10 times better than anything one could image buying at the store.
One can get carried away adding in healthy ingredients though, and then be left with a pan of super healthy granola bars that one just doesn’t even want to look at. That has happened to me quite a few times. They’ll be so over the top healthy (and taste that way) that when offered offered are quickly declined. Granola bar making is definitely an art. You want the right taste, the right texture, the right ingredients.
With these granola bars, I think I have perfected the art.
They’re chewy (no more breaking of teeth trying to take a bite, I like to use bananas and mash them with a fork), they have a little crunch (from the crispy rice cereal used) and they have the perfect balance of sweet and tart (from the chocolate chips and dried cranberries). These bad boys are so good, they’re the granola bar I make for road trips, and ones that I get requests for!
As I was thinking about what I all wanted to prepare for an upcoming road trip, I came home and realized it was my Door to Door Organics delivery day, yay, those are always fun days. Door to Door Organics delivers organic produce, right to your door (clever name, right?) and is something that saves me oodles of time each week. As soon as I saw the box, it reminded me that not only do they have produce, but they also have all kinds of other organic pantry items and groceries.
I perused their selection and found not only all the ingredients to make my granola bars, but also many great road trip snacks! Here are some of my favorites-what are some of yours?
Do you want to try the wonderful Door to Door Organics service? Two lucky winners will each receive a $50 gift certificate! To enter simply comment letting me know what your favorite road trip snack is, and make sure to fill out the widget after commenting. Winners randomly chosen 6/14/2015
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The next time you’re looking for the most delicious homemade granola bars, look no further than these peanut butter banana chocolate chip granola bars!
- 2 bananas, ripe and mashed
- 2 Tbs honey (I use Clover honey)
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cup oats (rolled oats, quick cooking)
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup walnut halves/pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries (you could also used dried cherries)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl microwave peanut butter, honey and vanilla for 30 seconds.
- In another bowl mash bananas with a fork.
- Combine bananas and peanut butter mixture and stir, then add in the brown sugar and stir.
- Next, add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine, it may be a little hard to stir. I like to fold the ingredients together (folding under and over with a spatula).
- When everything is mixed together spread it into the prepared baking dish and flatten the top so that it is even.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown, you may need to bake for a few more minutes (I've had to bake these all the way up to 30 minutes one time).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then, using a sharp knife cut into 20 bars.
- These granola bars store really well in the freezer. Simply individually wrap them in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag and remove when ready to enjoy, or store in an air tight container in the fridge.
This post has been sponsored by Door-to-Door Organics, thank you for supporting the brands that make the Sweetphi blog possible, as always, all thoughts and opinions are mine alone.
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!