Move aside apple crumble and make way for this pear and ginger caramel crumble. It is THE BEST crumble recipe, it’s got oohey gooey caramel and flavors of fall which everyone is going to love!
The story goes, when I was a baby I would not eat apples. My mom tried everything, but I just detested apples, so she said she fed me other fruits like pears, cherries, etc. Basically anything that wasn’t an apple. And I loved pears!
I now eat apples (not in abundance, but I don’t have a hatred of them as I did as a baby apparently) but after making this pear crumble, I know my true love of pears is ever present.
Pears have a soft sweetness, and work perfectly in a crumble. They get very tender when they’re baked, and are brought to life by the hints of ginger underneath the sweet caramel and crumble topping.
I love pears and ginger together, as evidenced by the recipe I shared last year of an upside down apple and pear loaf!
I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of making crumble with pears before. I love fruit crumbles of all kinds, but this particular case, I had all these pears that needed using and so this recipe came to life.
And boy am I glad it did, because this pear and ginger caramel crumble is one of the best fall desserts ever. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for sheer perfection!
- 5 pears, peeled, cored and chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger, fresh, micro-planed or very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- For the crumble topping:
- 1/4 cup butter (2 tablespoons), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Vanilla ice cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375, lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray (use either an 8x8 baking dish or a pie dish)
- In a bowl combine peeled, sliced pears with cinnamon and ginger and stir. Spoon into a baking dish, then drizzle caramel over the pears.
- In a separate bowl combine the butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon, use a fork and make it into a crumbly topping, then sprinkle over the pears.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the edges are bubbly, then remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired and enjoy!
Serving Size:1/8th of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242