Salmon is one of the tastiest (not to mention one of the most healthy) kinds of fish that one can enjoy at home, all thanks to knowing how to bake it perfectly!
Baking amazing salmon at home starts with buying the fish.
I never really knew what I was looking for until I was standing in front of the fish counter at my local grocery store and the friendly fishmonger (isn’t that a funny name? I had to look it up and it’s a noun that literally means ‘a person or store that sells fish for food’) came around the counter and explained what I was looking for. He gave me the following tips:
- The best part of the salmon is the center cut, so always ask for a center cut filet
- There are different kinds of salmon, the two most popular are King Salmon (has more of a buttery flavor) and Sockeye Salmon (is rich its salmon color and has very rich flavor, it is most commonly available at grocery stores)
- Purchase about 4-6 oz of salmon per person
- Baking salmon is one of the easiest, quickest, and best ways to cook salmon
Since then, I have been buying, baking and perfecting my recipe for center cut salmon.
It is so good, that I hesitate getting salmon at restaurants because I know how good it can be at home (and there’s nothing worse than a poorly cooked salmon filet you pay an arm and a leg for!)
Preparing the salmon takes a total of 5 minutes, you line a baking sheet (I love this set of baking sheets) with aluminum foil, lay the salmon filet on the baking sheet, sprinkle seasoning on (this is my favorite seasoning), lay lemon slices on top and then drizzle with olive oil, bake, and voila, perfect!
The result? Perfectly Baked Salmon!!
The salmon is super moist and flakey with hints of citrus and the rich olive oil and season complimenting every bite! I like to serve it over some rice and a side of veggies, either steamed or roasted.
You know what is also amazing about this recipe? It has less than 5 ingredients, perfect for Five Ingredient Fridays! If you enjoy simple recipes like this one, my cookbook Fast and Easy Five Ingredient Recipes: A Cookbook for Busy People is something you would love!
For this recipe I use Mediterranean spiced sea salt (this is the one I use) but you can certainly make your own.
I have a recipe for Mediterranean spice blend in my cookbook because I love it so much, it’s basically a mix of oregano, thyme, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Side note, I also have a recipe for how to make your own taco seasoning, and it’s gotten so many rave reviews, people said they never buy store bought seasoning after making it!
If you like this salmon recipe, you might also like:
Perfectly Baked Salmon
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place salmon (skin side down if skin is on) on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on the filet, sprinkle with Mediterranean Sea Salt, place lemon slices on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes, then cut into fillets and enjoy!
Note: This recipe has been made by a reader and is featured on my Reader Recreation page. If you ever make a SweetPhi blog recipe or tutorial that you’d like to share, just include the hashtag #Sweetphiblog on social media or send me an email to email@example.com, I love seeing your recreations!