If you need a new go-to side dish, this perfectly roasted potatoes recipe is where you need to start. It is so simply to put together, you’ll wonder why you haven’t been making roasted potatoes this way all along! The potatoes are roasted to perfection and have a crispy outside and soft inside and taste so good with hints of lemon, garlic and cilantro.
This side dish recipe is a super easy and delicious method for roasting potatoes, but I’ve also used the exact same recipe to roast any vegetable (think carrots, parsnips, cauliflower…any vegetable that one would roast!) Once you try this you’ll never go back!
What ingredients do you need for roasted potatoes?
- Baby red potatoes – you can also use any of your favorite potatoes, like fingerling potatoes.
- Garlic cloves – garlic is always a great addition to any dish!
- EVOO – extra virgin olive oil, mixed with the other recipe ingredients combine to make the most delicious coating to roast potatoes in.
- Lemon – the zest of lemon balances with hearty potatoes and gives the perfect amount of zip.
- Cilantro – I top this recipe with cilantro for an extra touch of color and bite of flavor. You could also use a different herb like parsley or green onions.
- Salt – the perfect amount of salt is paramount to this tasty recipe.
This recipe all starts with good baby potatoes! When I’m able, I like to get mine at the Milwaukee County Winter Farmer’s Market. The cool thing about the Milwaukee Winters Farmers Market is that it is held in the Mitchell Park Conservatory (horticultural domes – think dome shaped botanical green houses that one can walk through).
Of course, any potatoes ill do in this recipe. I like using baby potatoes because you don’t have to peel them, but you could certainly use any larger potato (even sweet potatoes) and they turn out great, just a little more prep involved.
This dish is so easy to make! All it takes to make the best ever roasted potatoes are few quick steps:
- Clean and cut the potatoes
- Toss them in a combination of olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, and salt
- Bake and then sprinkle with some chopped cilantro (this is optional, you could add green onion instead)
Once you’ve tried roasting potatoes (or anything) this way, you’ll do it over and over again. I know I do! This perfectly roasted potatoes recipe is so easy and highlights the flavors of whatever you’re roasting. Yum!
Perfectly Roasted Potatoes
- 2 lbs baby potatoes cleaned and halved
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 Tbs fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Clean and half potatoes and put in a bowl. Over the potatoes add the lemon zest, olive oil, crushed garlic cloves and salt, toss so that all the potatoes are covered.
- Evenly spoon out potatoes on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, turn over, then bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro and serve.