Are you looking for a cake that’s both pretty and easy to make? Look no further than this pink strawberry layer cake! With its soft pink color (naturally pink from freeze dried strawberries) and delicious strawberry flavor, it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any gathering.
Why you’ll love this easy strawberry cake recipe
- Foolproof cake – no complicated recipe or weird ingredients
- Naturally colored with freeze dried strawberries
- Super yummy strawberry cake with strawberry buttercream frosting
- Very easy to make
How to make naturally pink cake and frosting
If you’re looking for a more natural way to achieve that perfect pink color in your layer cake and frosting, I’m here to introduce you to the magic that is freeze dried strawberries! By using these delicious berries, you can avoid the use of artificial food coloring while still achieving a beautiful and vibrant pink hue in your cake.
You can find freeze dried strawberries at your local grocery store or on Amazon here.
To make make the pink powder from freeze dried strawberries, you’ll need to start by grinding the strawberries into a fine powder using a food processor or blender. You can then mix the powder into your cake batter just as you would any other dry ingredient. The result is a cake that is naturally colored with a subtle strawberry flavor. Same goes with the frosting, just grind the freeze dried strawberries and then mix the powder when making the frosting, it will be nice and pretty pink!
Not only does using freeze dried strawberries add a delicious flavor and color to your cake, but it also has the added benefit of being a healthier alternative to traditional food coloring. Freeze dried strawberries are packed with vitamins and antioxidants, making them a nutritious addition to any recipe. So can we pretend this cake is healthy?
If you’re looking for an easy pink layer cake recipe that is super easy to make and super delicious, look no further!
Here are some other cake recipes you’ll love:
Strawberry layer cake
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, at room temperature
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries crushed into fine powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting/filling
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, at room temp
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries crushed into fine powder
- 2 cups strawberries cut up into pieces, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, spray parchment paper with cooking spray as well.
- With a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until combined, 1-3 minutes. Add eggs and beat until well combined, scraping down sides of the bowl as necessary. Add flour, baking powder, salt and freeze dried strawberries; beat until just combined. Add milk and vanilla and beat until smooth
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake until golden (30-35 minutes) and a cake tester comes out clean in the center.
- Turn out/transfer onto wire racks to cool, about 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: beat butter and milk in a large bowl, add in powdered sugar and freeze dried strawberries and beat until well combined
- Place bottom layer on a cake stand, flat side down. Spread with 1/2 frosting and 1/2 strawberry pieces. Place second cake on top of first layer, dome side down, flat side up. Press down slightly. Smooth remaining frosting on top, then decorate with strawberry pieces, enjoy.