This pumpkin pecan pie recipe takes two favorite fall pies and combines them into what will be the best pie on your Thanksgiving dessert table. This recipe gives traditional pumpkin pie a little extra flavor and texture by adding a pecan pie topping.
I was originally going to make my 5 ingredient pumpkin pie and 5 ingredient brown sugar pie for Thanksgiving. I ordered deep dish pie crusts from the grocery store, but when I went to unpack the groceries I found they had given me regular pie crusts.
So I made the filling for the pumpkin pie and realized that it filled both regular crusts about 2/3 full. So I got creative on filling the rest of the pie crust with something else delicious: a pecan pie toping! And the pumpkin pecan pie was born!
What main ingredients do I need to make pumpkin pecan pie?
- Pumpkin puree – the backbone of this pie!
- Sweetened condensed milk – this ingredient always helps make desserts more creamy and delicious.
- Pumpkin pie spice – adding all of the spicy goodness into this pie
- Frozen pie crust – you can, of course, make your own pie crust, but I use a frozen one. You can make two smaller pies or one, deep-dish pie with this recipe.
- Brown sugar – providing a rice, molasses flavor to the topping of this pie.
- Pecan halves – these nuts provide a crunchy contrast to the creamy pumpkin base.
How do I bake this pie?
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix with a hand mixer or mix very well with a spoon.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pie crusts.
- Bake pumpkin pies for 10 minutes while you make your pecan pie topping.
- Make pecan pie topping. In a bowl, combine egg, brown sugar and light corn syrup. Add in pecan halves, butter and vanilla.
- Remove pumpkin pie from the oven and lower temperature to 350.
- Pour pecan mixture on top of pumpkin pies.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until a knife (or toothpick) inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When you’re baking these pies: bake the pies on a baking sheet in case there is any spillage. Cleanup will be much easier!
- This recipe makes 2 regular crust pies. If you wanted to make a single deep dish pie, you definitely could (just fill the crust 2/3 way up the crust with pecan pie filling, and then pour pecan pie filling on top instead of dividing it into two – this will result in a thicker pecan pie layer).
Pumpkin Pecan Pie Recipe
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz.)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)
- 4 eggs large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
- 2 pie crusts *pre-made, regular
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, 3 eggs, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix with a hand mixer or mix very well with a spoon until combined.
- Split mixture between two pie crusts.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. While baking, make the pecan layer.
- In a large bowl, combine one egg, brown sugar and light corn syrup. Add in pecan halves, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Remove pumpkin pies from oven and turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
- Pour mixture on top of pumpkin pie mixture.
- Bake pies for an additional 30-35 minutes, until knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.
- Cool completely (about 2-3 hrs) and store in the refrigerator.