Cookies for breakfast? Is there any answer besides a loud YES to answer that? These quick and healthy breakfast cookies are not only naturally gluten free and vegan, but are truly delicious!!
How does your morning routine go? Does it involve enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee and reading the paper? Yeah, that’s what my dreams are made of! My morning routine usually involves me rushing around, trying to find an ‘acceptable for public’ outfit (I need some new clothes, though don’t we all?) and trying to get Ben all ready for the day, and then trying to find something to eat.
And while I’d love to say that as a food blogger I wake up every morning and whip together a fabulous breakfast, truth is, that is far from the truth! Most days my fridge looks bleak at best with a few leftovers or things that require a little more preparation than I have time for in my 2.5 seconds before I need to be out of the house or else I’ll be late.
That’s where these delicious breakfast cookies come in. They’re not only super easy to make, but they’re the perfect on-the-go breakfast! I just grab one and eat it on my way to work (a lot easier to eat than a bowl of oatmeal…in the car…just trust me on this!)
The base of these amazing cookies is bananas! YAY! Fruit for breakfast! Then you mix in other delicious ingredients like sunflower seeds and chocolate chips, bake and then voila! Breakfast Cookies!
If you’re looking for some other quick and easy healthy breakfast ideas, I’d recommend:
- 2 cups quick cooking oats (gluten free variety)
- 2 ripe medium-large bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (use dairy free chocolate chips if vegan)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mash bananas, then add all the other ingredients and stir (you'll need a little muscle, it's hard to stir, but totally worth it!)
- Spoon large spoonfuls onto baking sheets and flatten the tops (I got about 8 large cookies per sheet). The cookies won't expand so you can put them close together.
- Bake for 20 minutes until tops are golden brown. Allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container, or freeze in a freezer bag (good frozen for up to 2 months).
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!