Looking for a delightful twist on a classic potato salad? Look no further than Red Skin Sour Cream Potato Salad! This vibrant and flavorful dish is a perfect addition to any summer gathering or backyard barbecue. With its red skin potatoes, tangy sour cream dressing, and a touch of spice, it’s a crowd-pleaser that will have everyone reaching for seconds.
There’s a butcher shop near me that sells the best red skin sour cream potato salad. It’s so good that I put it on my ‘must recreate/make at home’ list (it’s been on my list for years!) After craving the sour cream dill potato salad when the shop wasn’t open, I decided to finally recreate it. And I did it! This potato salad will become a favorite side dish, I know it has for me.
What ingredients do you need to make potato salad?
- Red skin potatoes
- Sour cream
- Distilled white vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Freeze dried chives
- Fresh chopped dill (depending on how much dill you like)
- Kosher salt
Personally, I don’t like to chomp down on raw onions in potato salad. Instead, I like to use something like freeze dried chives to give this salad a little bit of a zip that is so very tasty.
How do you make this red skin potato salad?
- Cook potatoes in boiling water.
- Drain and cool potatoes.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and mustard.
- Dice potatoes (you can also do this prior to boiling) into 4 pieces each. Lightly smash as you add them to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Add dill, chives & salt. Enjoy!
You could use different kinds of potatoes if you would like. In this roasted potato and kohlrabi salad from a few years back, I use rainbow potatoes and it is also a delicious option, or in this oil and vinegar potato salad (which happens to be a no-mayo potato salad and vegan friendly) I use yellow potatoes.
This red skin sour cream potato salad offers a vibrant and flavorful twist on the classic potato salad. The combination of red skin potatoes, tangy sour cream dressing, and a medley of finely spices and herbs creates a harmonious blend of flavors and textures that make this dish a crowd-pleaser. Whether served as a side dish or enjoyed on its own, this potato salad is sure to impress with its unique and delicious taste.
Red Skin Sour Cream Potato Salad
- 3 lbs. red skin potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. distilled white vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. freeze dried chives
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- Bring large pot of water to boil. When water is boiling, add the whole bag of red potatoes.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes. You want the potatoes to be fork tender, but not too overdone (they will turn too mushy, easily poked with a fork is when they're done).
- Drain potatoes and run under cold water. The potatoes should be cool before moving to the next steps. To do this more quickly, fill a bowl with cold water and submerge potatoes.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and dijon mustard in a large glass bowl.
- Cut potatoes in quarters and add to bowl. As you are adding them, use a fork to lightly smash 2-3 sections of the potato. You can smash as many or as few as you'd like, depending on how chunky you'd like the potato salad to be.
- Add chives, dill and salt. Stir to combine. Enjoy!