Impress your guests with this vegetarian side dish of roasted carrots topped with pesto quark and honey.
Certain holidays are fast approaching – ahem Thanksgiving and Christmas – and side dishes are always a big part of the celebration. It’s always nice to have some vegetarian side dishes, enter these roasted carrots. They’re super easy to make (hello Five Ingredient Fridays) and are based off a dish I once had at one of my favorite Milwaukee restaurants, Braise. Here is a picture of the dish we had:
I couldn’t stop thinking about them, they were sooooo good! So I made my version of them at home and my hubby and I gobbled them up before I had the chance to take pictures of them. The following week I made them again but it was right around the time change and by the time they were done I was surprised that it was dark out already. Third time’s the charm, right?
I can tell you that there weren’t any complaints at having to enjoy this dish multiple times, and since then I’ve made them multiple times…I just can’t quit this flavor combination!
[Tweet “Looking for a #vegetarian side dish? Look no further than these roasted carrots from @sweetphi”]
Quark cheese is such a great cheese to top carrots with – have you ever had it? It’s a soft and crumbly cheese that I grew up with. When I googled Quark I found out that it is common for the cuisines of German-speaking countries – makes sense why I’ve had it because my parents are German (I really need to do a post on all the German magazines my mother gives me, it is beyond adorable, they’re German magazines and she’ll right a little post-it notes on the recipes that she thinks I’ll like and I have stacks and stacks of them and absolutely love each and every one of them). Quark is similar in flavor to cottage cheese – but much better and not in little curds. The quark is perfect for a topping on the roasted carrots because it goes with the pesto and light drizzle of honey.
Since I’m such a huge fan of roasted carrots (see these ginger seared glazed carrots and these roasted cinnamon spice carrots I made last year for Thanksgiving) I just knew that I needed to share this recipe with you before Thanksgiving.
- 1 lb carrots halved and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt I used kosher salt
- pinch of pepper
- 4 teaspoons pesto
- 4 tablespoons about 2 oz. quark
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut carrots and place on lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until edges of carrots start to brown. Remove from oven. Distribute onto 4 plates.
- Spoon a teaspoon of pesto on top of each plate of carrots and then place 1 tablespoon quark on top of the pesto. Drizzle about half a teaspoon of honey onto each plate, serve warm and enjoy