This roasted kale and salmon detox salad recipe is amazingly delicious, healthy and Whole30 compliant! The salmon sits atop a bed of kale and cherry tomatoes, and beautiful blood oranges add a hint of sweetness. And best of all, this salad can all be cooked in one pan, yay for sheet pan dinner recipes.I never thought I’d be jazzed up about a salad, but when they are salads like this steak and nectarine salad, or this soft boiled egg spinach salad or this kale and salmon one pan detox salad recipe that I’m sharing with you today, what can I say? They’re just good!
After the holidays, I think some detox and healthy recipes are always in order to help balance things out. I always think back to when I did the Whole30 program (see overview here, here, here, and here for weekly overviews of what I ate on the program) and was so happy to realize this salad was a whole30 compliant one – if you’ve never heard of it, whole30 is basically a program focusing on eating whole foods where one cannot have added sugar, no grain, gluten, legumes, alcohol, no dairy. Whole 30 or not, this salad is amazing.
This salad has it all: a little crunch, a little citrus, delicious leafy greens and perfect flavor combinations.
Normally, the way I make salmon is by simply baking it, but I bake it with a lemon on top. By baking it with the lemon, subtle citrus notes stay with the salmon. I took that same concept of baking the salmon with this salad, but this time I placed blood orange slices on top of the salmon. It added a pleasant sweetness. And can we talk about the gorgeousness of of blood oranges? I just cant get enough! I love the deep red (blood) color and unique orangy flavor. My only wish is that I could have a year round supply in my house (someone needs to invent abundant citrus trees in my back yard (I live in Wisconsin so these trees would have to be ok in winter, just throwing that out there…)
And let’s not forget the amazingness that is kale! Kale is packed with tons of vitamins and nutritional value, and is perfect in this recipe.
Fresh, a little crispy around the edges, sweet acidity that counteract the earthy tones of the kale, the little tomatoes burst in your mouth, everything about this salad is fantastic!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Perfectly Baked Salmon
- Baked BBQ Salmon With Mango Salsa Recipe
- Garlic Lemon Salmon with Peppers and Brown Rice
Roasted Kale and Salmon Detox Salad
- 1 bag 10oz kale, cut
- 4 3-4 oz each salmon filets
- 1 blood orange peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbs pecans
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350, line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place kale on the baking sheet, then nestle the 4 salmon fillets in the middle/center on top of the kale.
- Next place slices of blood orange on top of salmon fillets, then drizzle olive oil over the kale and salmon.
- Place cherry tomatoes and pecans around the salmon, sprinkle with garlic salt, salt and pepper and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!