Are you ready to #TasteTheSeason ? These delicious Rocky Road Brownies In a Mason Jar are the perfect gift for this upcoming holiday season, and are part of a shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are as always mine alone. #CollectiveBias
To say the holidays are fast approaching is the understatement of the year! Christmas is less than two months away…and with that realization I’ve been busy making lists of everyone I need presents for: family, friends, coworkers, hosts of holiday parties, etc. And you know what? It adds up pretty quickly! With over 50 people on my list, buying everyone a million dollars’ worth of presents is just not a reality for me (this year lol).
So with the dilemma of gift giving on my mind, I was standing in the baking aisle at Walmart and saw all the amazing ingredients and remembered my mom always telling me that the best gifts are homemade ones that come from the heart.
And since I talk and write about food all the time (food connects us all, and everyone eats, so if we’re having a conversation, chances are the conversation will turn to food) I decided to make rocky road brownies in a jar! I’m such a sucker for anything cute in a jar…my husband even likes to joke that I wanted to start a business with baked goods in jar (so clearly I think of presents and baked goods in jars quite often!)
The amazing thing about this gift (aside from being super delicious) is that it’s not pricey to make, and it transports really well. If you’re traveling for the holidays a tip for traveling would be to wrap up the jars in a towel in your luggage!
To make these you’ll start by laying out all your ingredients and your empty jar. Then, what I like to do is use a piece of paper (just a regular piece of printer paper) for a funnel to help the ingredients get in the jar. I put them in in this order: flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and then wrap the marshmallows in plastic wrap (this keeps them from drying out). Then you’ll put the cap on the mason jar to seal it and then add a label (click here for printable labels.)
Then when you gift the rocky road brownies, they’re super easy to make, the maker only needs one stick of butter, two eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
If you need more inspiration, check out the Cooking Up Good website. They have recipes, sweepstakes, loyalty programs, coupons and more! What’s not to love? If you’re looking for a new dinner idea or a chance to win some awesome prizes, be sure to check it out!
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Bittersweet Chocolate Chips or Bakers Chocolate cut up into chunks
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Planters Brand
- 1/2 Cup Marshmallows cut up, or mini marshmallows, Jet Puff Marshmallows brand
- 1 Quart Wide Mouth Mason Jar
- Ribbon for garnish
- 1 Stick Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- To assemble the jar- using a piece of paper as a funnel, start by pouring ingredients into the mason jar in the following order: flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts. Then wrap the marshmallows in plastic wrap and put it on top of the nuts. Put the lid onto the jar, and add a label and gift to someone special.
- If making the rocky road brownies- Preheat oven to 350. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. In a bowl add stick of butter and microwave it for 30 seconds. Then add eggs and vanilla extract and stir.
- Next add contents of the jar (minus the marshmallows) and stir. Pour batter into the prepared pan and then top with marshmallow pieces. Bake for 35 minutes, then remove from oven, allow to cool, then lift the parchment paper out and cut brownies (you can cut either 3 or 4s, so you'll get 9 or 12 brownies.)