Looking for a super easy 5 ingredient sausage appetizer recipe that can be made last minute? Or perhaps a sausage appetizer that is an adult version/riff on a classic ‘pigs in a blanket’? This 5 ingredient sausage puff pastry appetizer recipe will leave your guests asking for the recipe!
I don’t know why, but in the past I’ve had a fear of working with puff pastry sheets.
It could be that I had a few times my puff pastry sheets puffed up and burned in the oven, so I must have dismissed them.
But then at an event I went to with passed appetizers, they were serving sausage puff pastry bites as an appetizer. It was literally a piece of sausage wrapped in a puff pastry.
So I jotted down the idea in my phone and never thought anything of it. Until I walked by the freezer section where the puff pastry is in the grocery store and it caught my eye. I purchased a package and made these bites and then wanted to take them up a notch.
What ingredients do I need for these sausage puff pastry bites?
- Puff pastry
- Pre-cooked Polish sausage
- Rosemary sprigs
- Marinara sauce for dipping
I wanted to take this 5 ingredient sausage puff pastry appetizer recipe to the next level so I added lemon zest and finely chopped rosemary. This makes them the perfect party appetizer.
They are fancy enough for adults, but at the same time are enjoyed by all-ages (these are totally a kid-approved appetizer) because it’s like you’re eating a ‘pig in the blanket’…but more refined because let’s face it, puff pastry does have that certain fancy feeling to it!
How do you make this easy appetizer?
- Cut little puff pastry circles (I used a small biscuit cutter)
- Cut a little x in the middle, then cut polish sausage into pieces.
- Put a piece of sausage into the x and bake!
- Once baked, sprinkle with lemon zest and chopped rosemary and serve with marinara sauce.
Also, these sausage puff pastry bites only have 5 ingredients (puff pastry, sausage, lemon zest, rosemary, marinara sauce) which makes them perfect for this week’s Five-Ingredient Friday recipe!
Watch these Polish sausage puff pastry appetizers disappear when you serve them. I brought them over to a party, and someone told me I needed to move them away because they had had 6 bites and said he was going to finish them before anyone else had any lol.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Ingredient Raw Honey and Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Cheesy Sausage Dip in a Bread Boat
- Cheesy Sausage Spinach Dip
Sausage Puff Pastry Appetizer Recipe
- 1 package puff pastry 17.3 oz puff pastry, thawed to room temp. You'll use 2 sheets for this recipe
- 1 package Polish sausage 12 oz. Each link cut into large 1-1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 lemon zest from the lemon
- 1-2 rosemary sprigs leaves removed and finely minced
- 1 cup marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut puff pastry into circles, then cut a little X shape in the center.
- Put one sausage piece in the center where the x is cut and then press the puff pastry around the sausage and put into a mini muffin tin cup. Repeat until all sausages/puff pastry circles are done and put in the mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until puff pastry is slightly brown on the outsides.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with lemon zest and rosemary.
- Warm marinara sauce to liking, then serve.