This shortcut white chicken chili recipe is ready in under an hour and you won’t miss any of the flavor! It’s the perfect easy dinner on a cold winter night.
Often, chili is cooked for hours in a slow cooker, but I wanted to be able to enjoy a delicious chili even on days when I didn’t remember to start a slow cooker meal. Enter, this shortcut white chicken chili recipe.
What ingredients do I need for white chicken chili?
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Yellow onion
- Cannellini beans
- Salsa verde
- Cilantro chopped
- Chicken broth
What makes this a shortcut chili?
- In this recipe, you need under an hour and you’ll have a white chicken chili made on the stovetop.
- This recipe uses a jar of salsa verde to really amp up the flavor, without having to make a salsa tomatillo salsa from scratch.
When cooking chicken chili in a slow cooker, the end product will result in chicken that is falling apart; almost shredded. With the stovetop method, you can shred the chicken with two forks to get that same consistency.
How do you make shortcut chicken chili?
- Simply, put everything in a pan and cook for 45 minutes on med-high heat. While the chili is simmering, stir occasionally.
If you want to spend a bit of extra time making this chili, you can cook the onions in a little bit of olive oil and then complete the recipe from there. This just helps develop the flavors slightly more.
You can also make this shortcut white chicken chili, put it in a freezer bag (like these) and just pop it in the slow cooker when you’re ready to eat it.
You can read more about that method here. Plus, you’ll read tips on freezing meals and cooking them properly from frozen.
Shortcut White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless and cut into large chunks. About 3 chicken breasts.
- 1 yellow onion small, diced. About 1 cup
- 2 cans cannellini beans 15 oz. each. Rinsed and drained.
- 1 jar salsa verde 16 oz.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth for cooking
- Put everything in a large saucepan. Cook for 45 minutes on medium-high heat. While it is simmering, stir occasionally.
- Label gallon freezer bag with title and include “for cooking add 2 cups chicken broth or water”. Combine all ingredients except chicken broth into a gallon size freezer bag. Squeeze out any excess air.
Cooking From Frozen Instructions:
- Remove gallon bag from freezer. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator on a plate or in an empty baking dish. Put contents of the bag in a slow cooker along with 2 cups of chicken broth and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-5 hours.
- Sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and avocado and cilantro