Packed with tons of incredible flavors, these slow roasted chicken tacos with radish slaw are perfect for Taco Tuesday – or any time you’re craving insanely delicious tacos!
Normally the turnaround time between when I’m ready to share a recipe can be anywhere from weeks to months. Sometimes my creations never make it to the blog. I have a calendar where I plan out posts but lately I’ve just so excited to share things that my calendar looks like a bunch of arrows and crossed out things lol. Like when I shared the vegetarian sheet pan dinner of Mexican kale salad shortly after making it? I rearranged my posting calendar because I couldn’t wait. Then these slow roasted chicken tacos – I made them this weekend and shared behind the scenes on Instagram, @philiakelnhofer, and was so jazzed by all the responses I got asking for the recipe, so I rearranged my schedule to share this with you, and on a Taco Tuesday, none the less – I definitely feel like I’m #winning (also, right now I’m on cloud nine because I just got to see what my cookbook looks like in finished form for the first time, I’ll share more on Friday, but I just can’t stop smiling!)
I’ve been making shredded chicken tacos for years (see these 5 ingredient slow cooker salsa chicken tacos for the prime example – those tacos are actually one of my most popular pins on pinterest) but have never really stepped up my game in the taco department. Well, this past Friday night my husband and I went on a little date night to try out a new taqueria (definition: a restaurant specializing in tacos) that had opened in the area. We tried all sorts of incredible tacos, but my favorite one had this radish slaw on top. I was hooked.
This summer I’m totally loving radishes. I remember having them as a kid but cannot remember having them since. I just couldn’t resist buying them at the farmers market the past few weekends I’ve went (I happen to live walking distance from a totally gorgeous farmers market here in Milwaukee) and have just been eating them raw, dipped in my fave green goddess dressing (recipe coming next week!) So with my fresh radishes in hand, I decided that I was going to make a version of tacos and top them with a slaw of sorts because I also had a fresh anaheim pepper that need to get used from my garden.
The end result? Incredible. Truly truly delicious! The chicken is slow roasted with fire roasted tomatoes and chiles and is then shredded. Speaking of shredding the chicken – did you know about the trick of shredding the chicken with your hand mixer? TOTALLY GENIUS! I can’t remember where I heard that from, but I didn’t have the patience to sit there and shred the chicken with two forks (even though that method works just fine if you don’t have a hand mixer) when I saw my hand mixer and remembered I’d heard that trick. It worked SO WELL!! Shredded chicken in seconds. The one note I would make is to cover your pot with a paper towel as you mix so it doesn’t splatter on you.
This dish is perfect for making on a weekend, just throw the ingredients in a dutch oven (I’m totally obsessed with my dutch oven!) and let it cook away in the oven over low heat for 4 hours. You could also make this in a slow cooker (this is the one I use) and just cook the chicken on low for 8 hours – that’s what I like to do for when I want tacos during the week and am not going to be home during the day.
The chicken cooks and has such an amazing flavor – hits of smokiness and spices. When the chicken is done cooking you make the slaw which is the perfect compliment to the chicken: tangy and zippy with a little crunch from the radishes. These slow roasted chicken tacos with radish slow – totally an amazing taco flavor combination that you’re going to love!!
Does the slow roasted chicken freeze well?
- Yes! Once you make the prepared slow roasted chicken you can freeze it for up to 2 months.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Quick and Easy Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Steak Tacos with Cranberry Salsa
- Korean Beef BBQ Tacos with Quick Pickled Cucumbers
Slow Roasted Chicken Tacos with Radish Slaw
- For the chicken:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can 4 oz. diced green chiles (to heat level of your liking, i like to add in 'hot' ones)
- 1 can 14.5 oz. crushed tomatoes
- For the radish slaw:
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely chopped and stems removed
- 1 bunch of radishes finely chopped (I use a mandolin)
- 1 avocado finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by cooking the chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes in a large dutch oven, then add in the garlic and cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne and salt, and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Add chicken into the dutch oven along with chicken stock, green chiles, and crushed tomatoes, cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before shredding.
- To shred the chicken, use a hand mixer, covering the pot with a paper towel to contain the splatter and mix until all the chicken is shredded.
- To make the radish slaw combine lime juice, vinegar and cilantro in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add in the sliced radishes and avocado and sprinkle with salt, then stir to combine.
- To assemble the tacos, warm tortillas then place two spoonfuls of chicken (I like to use a slotted spoon to drain the liquid from the chicken) in the center of a tortilla and place a spoonful or two of the slaw on top, repeat assembling per taco and enjoy