Packed with tons of incredible flavors, these slow roasted chicken tacos with radish slaw are perfect for Taco Tuesday – or any time you’re craving insanely delicious tacos!
I’ve been making shredded chicken tacos for years (see these 5 ingredient slow cooker salsa chicken tacos for the prime example) but love to experiment with more flavors and adding a radish slaw to these tacos take them up another level.
What ingredients do you need to make these roasted chicken tacos?
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken stock
- Diced green chiles
- Crushed tomatoes
To make the slaw:
- Red wine vinegar
We’ll get to the chicken, but this radish slaw needs a moment of its own! This slaw is the perfect compliment to the chicken; tangy and zippy with a little bit of crunch from the radishes!
To make this amazing chicken, you’ll want to take your time to slow roast it and pull out all of the amazing smoky and spicy flavors.
Once the chicken is done cooking, it’s time to shred. And do you know the amazing trick for shredding chicken with your hand mixer? Genius! If you aren’t sure what I’m talking about, check it out here. I can’t remember where I originally saw this, but I use the tip all the time because I never have the patience to shred chicken with two forks (even though that works great as well!).
My biggest tip would be to make sure you cover your pot with a paper towel as you mix so the chicken doesn’t splatter on you.
This dish is perfect for making on a weekend, just throw the ingredients in a dutch oven (I’m totally obsessed with my dutch oven!) and let it cook away in the oven over low heat for 4 hours. You could also make this in a slow cooker (this is the one I use) and just cook the chicken on low for 8 hours – that’s what I like to do for when I want tacos during the week and am not going to be home during the day.
Does the slow roasted chicken freeze well?
- Yes! Once you make the prepared slow roasted chicken you can freeze it for up to 2 months.
These slow roasted chicken tacos with radish slaw are truly an amazing taco flavor combination that you’re going to love!!
Other recipes you might enjoy:
- Quick and Easy Chicken Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Steak Tacos with Cranberry Salsa
- Korean Beef BBQ Tacos with Quick Pickled Cucumbers
Slow Roasted Chicken Tacos with Radish Slaw
For the chicken:
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can diced green chiles 4 oz. (to heat level of your liking, i like to add in 'hot' ones)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 14.5 oz.
For the radish slaw:
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely chopped and stems removed
- 1 bunch radishes finely chopped (I use a mandolin)
- 1 avocado finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by cooking the chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes in a large dutch oven, then add in the garlic and cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne and salt, and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Add chicken into the dutch oven along with chicken stock, green chiles, and crushed tomatoes, cook for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before shredding.
- To shred the chicken, use a hand mixer, covering the pot with a paper towel to contain the splatter and mix until all the chicken is shredded.
- To make the radish slaw combine lime juice, vinegar and cilantro in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add in the sliced radishes and avocado and sprinkle with salt, then stir to combine.
- To assemble the tacos, warm tortillas then place two spoonfuls of chicken (I like to use a slotted spoon to drain the liquid from the chicken) in the center of a tortilla and place a spoonful or two of the slaw on top, repeat assembling per taco and enjoy