I love these sprinkle cookies made with whole wheat flour, they are the perfect little cookies to make with whole wheat flour, and super fun to make kids!
I based this cookie recipe off of my sprinkle cookies bars recipe but used white whole wheat four instead of all purpose flour. Mainly because we were out of AP flour, but also because they were for the kids, and I always feel better using a more nutritious whole wheat flour!
What ingredients do you need to make sprinkle cookies?
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- White whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
You can certainly make these cookies with all purpose flour, but you’ll just want to adjust the recipe to use 1 1/2 cups. And, I also love the addition of almond extract because it gives the extra little punch of flavor.
I think the most fun part of these sprinkle cookies are, in fact, the sprinkles! We have a variety of sprinkles at the house, but these natural ones are kind of fun if you’re looking for sprinkles that are even a touch more healthy. Or, you can opt out of sprinkles all together and keep the cookies more naturally colored.
I’m always looking for fun recipes to make with the kids and sprinkle cookies are a great recipe for this. Freddie and Ben worked together to make these cookies and when they were done, got to enjoy their creations! I also love to make things like these chocolate milkshakes or sheet pan pizza.
If you’re wondering why these sprinkle cookies look so perfectly round, I’ve got a tip for you: when the cookies are still warm (right out of the oven), use a glass or biscuit cutter, run it around the edge of the cookie to make it perfectly circular. Viola!
Sprinkle cookies made with whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder or cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Sprinkles divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add butter and microwave for 30 seconds
- Add sugar into butter and using either a hand or a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in the egg, vanilla extract and almond extract and stir to combine
- Using a wooden or plastic spoon add in the white whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt and stir to just combine.
- Add in 1/2 cup sprinkles and stir until sprinkles are incorporated.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup sprinkles in a shallow bowl for rolling.
- Using a 1 1/2 tbs cookie scoop or your hands, scoop cookies into ball shape, round the ball with your hands and gently press into the bowl containing the sprinkles.
- Place cookies about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets and slightly flatten with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until set around the edges. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.