Open your pantry and fridge and find the ingredients to make this delicious sweet and tangy slow cooker chicken!
Phi here~Today’s guest post is brought to you by Liz from the The Lemon Bowl. You may remember her from when I made this mustard lemon chicken with spinach and potatoes for her while she was out of town. Now I’m out of town (see here to learn more about my travel plans) and she is so generously sharing a recipe. I seriously cannot wait to get home and make this! I’m so happy to say that Liz has become a dear friend. She is kind and beautiful and never short of encouraging me or giving me inspiraiton, let’s all welcome her:
Hello friends of Phi! My name is Liz and I’m a healthy food and lifestyle blogger over at The Lemon Bowl. Eight years ago I did something crazy and lost 65 pounds. I’ve kept it off through two pregnancies and now I share the fresh and flavorful recipes I eat to maintain the weight loss and feed my growing boys.
I’m such a HUGE fan of Phi’s so I’m pretty thrilled to be here. Speaking of pretty…isn’t Phi the prettiest? I think so, too.
Since we can always use one more slow cooker chicken recipe, I decided to create a simple, easy recipe made with mostly pantry staples. Sweet and Tangy Slow Cooker Chicken was a recent “clean out the fridge” meal which always, always, always ends up being the most delicious.
Feel free to use any type of meat including pork shoulder, pork tenderloin or chicken thighs. The real star of the show is the smoky, sweet and slightly spicy sauce made of Dijon, brown sugar, chipotle peppers and tomato sauce. We served it with fresh scallions and I added a little sriracha to mine because I couldn’t help myself.
If you’re looking to incorporate more healthy recipes to your diet, the slow cooker is your friend. Not only is it excellent for developing flavors slowly over time but it’s ideal for healthy cooking because the high-moisture (liquids don’t evaporate in a slow cooker) means that you can get tender, juicy meat without lots of butter or oil. Win Win.
Your fork is waiting.
- 20 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 sweet potatoes – peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas – drained and rinsed
- Sweet and Tangy Sauce:
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce – low sodium
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo – minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- diced scallions – to serve
- Add all of the sauce ingredients (tomato sauce through pepper) to the slow cooker insert and whisk until smooth.
- Place chicken, sweet potatoes, onion and chickpeas in the slow cooker and stir to coat evenly with the sauce.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork then sprinkle with fresh scallions to serve.
Sign up for email updates and get a free eCookbook with our top 25 recipes!