These homemade sweet potato chips are seasoned with a smokey and peppery seasoning mix and fried to crispy perfection!
Every year for Thanksgiving my husband and I make homemade sweet potato chips. It’s a labor of love. A loooong labor of love (they’re made in small batches), but the end result is truly fantastic and worth it. But I have never written down all the little steps and intricacies until now! So today is the lucky day that I share this recipe with all of you.
Each sweet potato chip is lovingly cut, soaked, fried, and hand seasoned with a homemade seasoning mix. And every year as the holidays get closer my husband is asked if we are going to make sweet potato chips…he says yes….and then we make them (I mean he did start this tradition, so I feel like he brought it on himself lol).
Funny thing is, even though I make the seasoning mix, my husband does about 99% of the work but I get all the credit “Phi, these sweet potato chips are the best chips I’ve ever had!”
But I always step in and give credit where credit is due, because these chips are all his doing: here is he drying off the sweet potato chips before they get fried.
To make the sweet potato chips you’ll start by peeling and slicing the sweet potatoes. We used one and half sweet potatoes and one purple sweet potato (this is the first year we added in a purple sweet potato, I don’t think we will do it again, they are a different texture than the orange sweet potatoes) and then we sliced them on a mandolin. When slicing it’s more about getting a consistent slice then about them being thin.
Then you’ll heat up oil in a dutch oven, fry the chips in small batches (about 10 chips at a time because you don’t want to crowd them) then as they turn brown you’ll set them on a drying rack and season them.
For the seasoning mix I like to use an empty spice container and then pour all the different spices in there, then shake it and season away!
Sweet Potato Chips
- 2 1/2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Purple Sweet Potatoes optional, or use another sweet potatoes
- 6-8 Cups Vegetable Oil
- -For the seasoning mix-
- 2 Tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbs Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ancho Chili Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Chili Pepper
- Peel sweet potatoes, then slice them thin with a mandolin (uniform is more important than super thin).
- Soak the potatoes overnight (you can soak them for as little as half an hour) to get the starch out.
- Drain the water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a large dutch oven heat the oil to 350 degrees. Once the oil is at 350 gently drop the sweet potato slices into the oil. Allow the sweet potato slices to fry until they turn slightly brown, then remove from oil and place onto a drying rack. Sprinkle with seasoning mix and repeat until all sweet potatoes are done. Allow chips to cool, then transfer to a bowl and enjoy!